Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Hpv Vaccine For Older Women?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby Andre » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:23 am

I'm a 29 female and I only have 1 sexual partner. However, he cheated on me couple years ago and since then, my pap always come back abnormal and recently in March I had to go thru a co2 laser cervix surgery to remove abnormal cells. I know I infected with the high risk HPV virus, however, there're so many types of HPV strains and I'd want to be proactive for my health and want to take the HPV vaccine. My Primary doctor and OB/GYN refused to give the vaccine to me as they said it's not FDA approved age. I have done a lot of research abt the vaccine and I understand it might not be effective to older women as well this will not help since I already infected with the virus. The vaccine helps to prevent 4 types of HPV virus and if I only infected with one, the vaccine might help me to prevent the other 3. sometimes I'm thinking: why the doc can give the vaccine to younger women who have infected with HPV plus lots of sexual partners but won't give to me even I only have one partner. Is it just because I'm over age? Is there anyone here over 26 in similar situation but able to get the HPV vaccine? Anyone had co2 laser cervix surgery and then took the shots? where did u take it?

Postby Graysen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:24 am

As your research has shown the vaccine Gardasil has not been approved for use in women over the age of 26.
Some doctors will give the vaccine 'off label'.
It may be difficult or impossible that your insurance will pay for all 3 injections. Each injection is about $120.00 this does not include the office visit charge which your private insurance may pick up. Gardasil prevents 4 genital HPV types two that are low risk and not associated with genital cancer HPV types 6 and 11 and HPV types 16 and 18 which are seen in 70% of all cervical cancers. They are 15 high risk HPV types that are seen in cervical cancers.
Specific HPV type testing is seldom done.
Many men and women do carry multiple HPV types.
Gardasil was requested by the FDA for use in women over 26.

Cervarix is another HPV vaccine that has been approved for use in the US.
Cervarix has also asked that the vaccine be made available to women over the age of 26.
I am not sure if the FDA has decided the usefulness of the vaccine for woman over 26.
Cervarix prevents HPV types 16 and 19.
Cervarix is the vaccine that is primarily given in the UK

I have included a link that shows a study that supports using the vaccine in women post surgery due to abnormal cell changes of the cervix due to HPV.

HPV Vaccine Also Protects Females From Post-Surgical Cancer Recurrence http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases...

Call different doctors and ask if they will give the vaccine off label.
If you have a medical college in your area make sure you contact them. When you contact a medical office be sure that they know you are willing to pay out of pocket for the vaccine.
The only other thing I can suggest is to see if any clinical trails are offered.

Persistence is all that I can recommend.
I wish you well.

Some physicians may advocate and use the HPV vaccine ?off label?, without demonstration of effectiveness for women over the age of 26. They argue that the immune response should be robust enough.
The doctors who are choosing to use the HPV vaccine off label support report that it is unlikely that an older woman would have had prior exposure to all four common HPV types and therefore would derive some benefit from the vaccine. Other physicians advocate no ?off label? vaccinations. As with the administration of any medication or vaccine the benefits should always be weighed against the risks.

Women for change website.

Postby Sloane » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 am

Postby Christmas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:29 am

If it isn't FDA approved for over age 26 he cannot give it to you.... He could lose his license

Postby Artis » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:39 am

i could ask your well-being care expert approximately it. tell him/her approximately your daughters previous illnesses/deseases and hypersensitive reactions. you additionally can desire to characteristic the different vaccinations she has gotten in her existence time. i could in my view wait a million or 2 years until eventually now getting it nonetheless in the experience that your well-being care expert says its risk-free.

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials