Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Hpv And Warts... Question About Cancer?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby Benny » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:05 pm

My boyfriend went to the dermatologist yesterday because of a wart on his finger and he was told it was a wart caused by HPV... this is the only wart on his body.The doctor said these were common.

We have never had sex with anyone else but each other, we were virgins when we did it for the first time.

I know HPV are a group of viruses and some are sexually-transmitted, and that some could cause cervical cancer.

My question is: is this type of HPV sexually-transmitted? Does it cause cancer? Because I'm about to go on the pill and I don't want to be exposed to STDs.

Thank you.
Benny

Postby Louvel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:10 pm

They are over 125 HPV types.
All warts on the body are of a Human Papilloma Virus type.

They are 40 genital HPV types.
Genital HPV types are HPV types that are found in the genital and sometimes in the oral area.
Genital HPV types are commonly transmitted during vaginal and anal sex and may be transmitted during oral and hand to genital sex.

Warts on the hands feet, areas that are not genital are non-genital HPV types or common warts.

No a wart on the finger is not sexually transmitted.
Common warts of the hand feet and no genital HPV types are not linked to cancers.

They are 15 high risk or oncogenic HPV types.

High-risk HPV types (16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 68, 73, and 82) have been identified in cancers of the cervix, vagina, vulva, anus, and penis. Therefore, they are also called carcinogenic or oncogenic HPV.

HPV types that cause hand and common warts are different from the types that cause warts in the genital area. The exception is the rare occurrence of warts in the genital area in young children that are due to these "non-genital" HPV types. Likewise, genital HPV types are only very rarely found in lesions outside the genital area. For instance, occasional HPV 31 lesions have been described in the conjunctiva and under the finger nails. http://www.asccp.org/PracticeManagement/...
Louvel

Return to Cervical Cancer