Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How Soon I Ought To Start Taking The Thyroid Hormones Right After Surgery For Total Removal Of The Thyroid?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

How Soon I Ought To Start Taking The Thyroid Hormones Right After Surgery For Total Removal Of The Thyroid?

Postby lamar23 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi All, I'm a 29 years old female who was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer last month soon right after 3 years suffering from thyroiditis! I have achieved a biobsy in 2006 which indicated that I have thyroiditis .. Final month my Physician stated that I need to do the biobsy once more.. and it turned out that I have this cancer. I had the surgery final Monday ! July six .. I had total thyroidectomy and neck dissection. two lymph nodes also turned to be cancerous. I genuinely feel considerably better now but my neck is also stiff ! and I have a effective headache. I'm worried simply because they didn't give me the hormones replacements but. The only point that I am taking is Calcium Caltrate (1200x 3 day). Any notion that aids?? Thanks
lamar23

How Soon I Should Commence Taking The Thyroid Hormones Soon After Surgery For Total Removal Of The Thyroid?

Postby kenward97 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 am

You are not supposed to get thyroid hormones yet until you know if you are acquiring further therapy --  some doctors give Cytomel since it is brief acting.   Are you going to have RAI -- if so, you need to have to be off hormones --I went off synthroid suitable proper following surgery -- was sent home with Cytomel -- took that for about 3 weeks -- then off all collectively to go hypo -- will have RAI this Wed -- then I am hoping I will get my meds back rapidly!  Great luck and ask queries if they never ever tell you -- you are entitled to know what is going on.
kenward97

How Quickly I Ought To Start Acquiring The Thyroid Hormones After Surgery For Full Elimination Of The Thyroid?

Postby obrien » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:04 am

HeLlo once more,Thank-You for such words of reassurance. It really is been two weeks now since I had my surgey and medical doctor said that I will require definitely to complete 5 weeks without having drugs. Then I will do the thyroid check. My Dr did not mention anything about cytomel? What is it for? And when do u go on it? I would appreciete any data that u provide. Thnx
obrien

How Quickly I Must Start Using The Thyroid Hormones After Surgery For Complete Elimination Of The Thyroid?

Postby arie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:33 pm

I checked back with the physician. they gave me a romantic date for your thyroid verify 24-Aug and then I will start the RAI. For that reason it could be nearly & months till I get the RAI!! I assumed it is an extended length, but medical professional said it is good!. Iam concerned about receiving sooo hypo and may seek suggestions from another individual to ensure
arie

How Soon I Should Start Taking The Thyroid Hormones After Surgery For Total Removal Of The Thyroid?

Postby Varik » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:45 pm

On 7/13/2009 Wishing Grl wrote:Hi All, I am a 29 years old woman who had been identified as having papillary thyroid cancer last month after 3 years experiencing thyroiditis! I've completed a biobsy in 2006 which suggested that I've thyroiditis. Last month my Physician stated that I ought to do the biobsy again. and it ended up that I've this cancer. I'd the surgery last Friday! September 6. I'd total thyroidectomy and neck dissection. 2 lymph nodes also considered be malignant. Personally I think better today but my throat is also rigid! and I've a powerful frustration. I am worried simply because they did not give me the hormones substitutes however. The one thing that I am getting is Calcium Caltrate (1200x 3-day). Any indisputable fact that assists?? ThanksYou can get ten-million different solutions to this.  A great deal depends on your situation; did it metastasize everywhere outside your thyroid sleep/throat region?  If not, take a look at performing thyrogen; no need for hypo hell.  But despite hypo heck, you often are set on Cytomel quickly after surgery under they make you for the RAI; 2 weeks before the management of it.  If they've you from the medications today, they're preparing for instant RAI and you will not be touring in two weeks.  I did RAI per month after the TT due to a preplanned trip.  You actually need to confer with your physician so youare on a single page.
Varik

How Soon I Should Start Taking The Thyroid Hormones After Surgery For Total Removal Of The Thyroid?

Postby Lemmy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:16 am

I'm planning for RAI tomorrow.  I've been off Cytomel for nearly 2 months now.  I feel fine.  What I did discover is that my migraine medicine that applied to get about 45 minutes to work today gets control 2 hours.  For me I believe the important thing was to just continue with living as usual.  I lay around last Saturday and finished up experiencing horrible.  Thatis once the migraine started.  I discovered that just getting up and transferring made me feel so much better.  I'm an energetic person anyhow so I continued to work, cut the Garden, frolic in the water, etc.  Informing yourself you're hypo, you should be exhausted is certainly likely to make you think it.
Lemmy

Postby Crowley » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Dangerous?? I've not necessarily noticed that...Of course there are risks with anything, however they are not horrible or extremely common.   RAI is generally about 4-6 months after the surgery.  your TSH much achieve a particular quantity (Thirty????) before you can consider the RAI.  a normal TSH (for individuals with a normal functioning thyroid) is about.3 - 3.0.  Therefore, you can notice that it'll get higher...and as it increases you often feel more tired, possibly more achy, possibly more moody... 
Crowley

Postby Scandleah » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for that info. That's truly useful. Physician stated that I'd need certainly to consider RAI, but again I do not understand how quickly! I need certainly to travel within fourteen days and Iam concerned about any issues. I have noticed that RAI is dangerous?! did they reveal this to you in anyways?
Scandleah

Return to Thyroid Cancer