Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Stanford Researchers Target Cancer Cell Proliferation

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How much should I price things at my Bake Sale?

Discuss Breast Cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer in the world today.

Postby amadeo40 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:57 pm

I live in the U.K and I am going to have a bake sale by going door to door of people's houses. (I have done this before!) I am making things all from scratch, like muffins, medium size, cookies, medium size. So could you say how much you would pay for these goods knowing that what we make will partially go to a charity for Breast cancer. Also, what else would you buy and how much would you pay for them?

Thanks to everyone who answers. 10 points to the person who has the most precise and detailed answer!!

- And yes, I have put up the same question about 15 minutes ago, but I just want to get as many answers as possible.
amadeo40

Postby arend » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 am

50p-£1 for each thing depending on size? I wouldn't put them too high cos people are skint and won't be able to afford it. If you average them around 50p-£1, chances are they'll buy more.
Good Luck, hope it goes well!
arend

Postby dunlop55 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:12 am

Good afternoon.

Considering that everything you make is from scratch, this ideal is already very tempting. Homecooked foods, homeprepared meals, Pastries and sweets often fair much more, in terms of profit, as people love this nostalgic, fresh impression that the term gives.

I would expect to pay much more than I would at Supermarkets (for example!) as the quality of the ingredients is far superior and of course, the time and effort taken to make them and plus, some of the proceedings are going to Charity, which is also another plus. Consumers love to feel that they are helping, in some way - whether it be large or small, which will no doubt work in your favour too.

I would spoil myself and buy everything that takes my fancy! As for how much I would pay, I am not really fussed as good quality food comes with a good quality price!

Katherine
dunlop55

Postby owain » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:20 am

no idea .you know better
owain

Postby keefer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:22 am

I think it is wonderful you are doing it and I wish you the best of luck with it. I would first work out the costings of your cakes, take your ingredients for each cake type weighed out, work out how much it cost then divide that figure by how many cakes it produces. Then add your margin, I would say 50% is reasonable so if it costs £1 to make a muffin for instance, you charge £1.50. Play around with it, if your customers give up there money easily, try bumping up the margin a bit more, I would use round margin amounts though to make life easier (unless your good with math, which I am not). Hope this helps :)
keefer

Postby amyas » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:24 am

Well first set a goal of how much you want to raise. Then find out how much the indreants might cost. Go to a resturant supply store because some of them sell food a well personally i would pick two cookies like one with some kind of chocolate(chocolate chip or m 'n m) and one with that is chocolate free(sugar, thumb prints, or lemon tulies)

Then do a brownie and a coffee cake muffin and a blueberry muffin.

Go around and look at the going rate for baked goods in your area. In my area you can get a muffin for $2-$3 on average. cookies are $1-$2. brownies are $3-$4

Add up the cost of items with the amount of money you think that you can reasonable get and divide that by the portions you will be making. Then you can get an idea how much you will need to sell them for. You might choose that cookies be less money and the brownies are more money.

good luck.
amyas

Return to Breast Cancer