Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long would esophageal cancer take to develop?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby law » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi my sister is 10, she had gerd for a little bit but it's better now and she takes meds for it so heartburn is rarely ever a problem anymore. I read somewhere that gerd can lead to esoph. Cancer and I got worried..
law

Postby haele » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:06 pm

There is no possible way there is stool in her stomach, so I’m not really sure what you mean. Does she have a mass in her colon that caused a perforation? If that were the case she would have been taken into surgery right away.

You really need to talk to her doctor as you are not telling us enough. Your mother’s cancer is not curable, but it is very common for people to survive several years with stage 4 breast cancer. If her disease has progressed far enough that she is close to death she does not need to eat.

If the fluid was removed from her abdomen and it filled up again quickly it is not a good sign.
haele

Postby denys » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Adenocarcenoma (esophageal cancer from reflux disease) is very slow to develop. However, given your sister's age, she has a long time to live with reflux, if in fact she has reflux disease. There is so much she can do with diet and lifestyle that will allow her to manage her disease - but at 10 she will need your support. Both of you should commit to understanding what you can do to manage the symptoms and underlying causes and get on it! Be sure you know her GERD stage - its important to know where you are before you decide where you are going. Best wishes!
denys

Return to General Cancer Discussion