Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How Long Does My Grandmother With Stage 4 Colon Cancer Have To Live?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby ApRhys » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:37 pm

She is 76 and was diagnosed in September of 2010. She went through one surgery to get a "mass" out of her colon. She then began chemotherapy all the way until March of 2011. Just a week ago, she had to go back to the doctor due to intense stomach pains and found out that she had fluid and gas building up in her chest, she has a blockage in colon and the cancer has spread all over her body. They drained the fluid and she was starting to get better but she took a turn for the worst last night and began throwing, refuses to eat and is unable to urinate or defecate. She has a tube in her that is taking out more fluid yet again and they can not operate. I am beginning to fear for how long she will live. Thank you for taking the time to read my question. Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.
ApRhys

Postby Tirell » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:40 pm

The median survival for stage 4 colon cancer is 2-2.5 years, this means 50% of people with stage 4 disease die before this time and 50% die after. You grandmother is at 1 year and 7-8 months and appears to be near the end, probably days to weeks. Her doctors will know. I am sorry.
Tirell

Postby Anwar » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:04 am

I'm so sorry to hear this. I am a nurse in a gastroenterology practice so we see this a lot. there is a poor prognosis, or survival rate, for anyone in stage four cancer of anykind. because of her age and the complications she is experiencing, unfortunately you are looking at an end pretty soon.

keep in mind, when you have cancer and pain, you don't want to eat, you can't function like you used to, and you get to the point where you are just ready to die. therefore think twice about using extensive measures to keep her alive. would you want to live the rest of your life with a tube in your stomach forcing you to eat and stay alive? its controversial, but being a nurse i've seen suffering, and death is my better option.

whatver happens is meant to happen. but get ready for goodbye. no one but the higher power you believe in knows WHEN.
Anwar

Postby Winton » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 am

It sounds like she has just a few days left. The ascites (fluid) can be indicating major internal organ failure. She may only have a week. Best Wishes.
Winton

Postby Jermain » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:48 am

stage four is very close to death. I would try to make her last days her best.
maybe a month maybe a week.
You cant be really sure.
But i hope she will live till she is 95.
The best thing now to do is pray
Jermain

Return to Colon Cancer