Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long does it take for liver cancer to kill humans?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby crompton » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 am

please help!
crompton

Postby rang » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:08 am

It varies from person to person. My Uncle had lung cancer that spread to his liver. My mother was shortly diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer which eventually spread too and she died before my uncle, almost a year before him. She was diagnosed just before she turned 52 and she died at age 55. My uncle was a year younger and had it probably a year before her. In his case, though, it originated from his lungs.

Treatment options for people with liver cancer are surgery (including a liver transplant), ablation, embolization, targeted therapy, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy. You may have a combination of treatments.

The treatment that's right for you depends mainly on the following:

the number, size, and location of tumors in your liver
how well your liver is working and whether you have cirrhosis
whether the cancer has spread outside your liver
Other factors to consider include your age, general health, and concerns about the treatments and their possible side effects.

At this time, liver cancer can be cured only when it's found at an early stage (before it has spread) and only if people are healthy enough to have surgery. For people who can't have surgery, other treatments may be able to help them live longer and feel better. Many doctors encourage people with liver cancer to consider taking part in a clinical trial. Clinical trials are research studies testing new treatments. They are an important option for people with all stages of liver cancer.
rang

Postby donalt » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:18 am

it depends on how bad it is. my uncle had the severe case of liver cancer and he lasted no more than a month. i guess what the question is how bad is your cancer?
donalt

Postby harvey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:40 am

it depends on how bad it is. my uncle had the severe case of liver cancer and he lasted no more than a month. i guess what the question is how bad is your cancer?
There is no definitive answer to your question. I was diagnosed with primary liver cancer 5 years ago and kidney cancer a few months ago. I don't plan on dying any time soon.

I researched and tried many alternative remedies as I believe that the chemo is worse than the disease in my case. It took a good year or two and a few thousand dollars to see what worked for me.

But, I first concentrated on building up my immune system generally and stopped putting as many toxins and heavy metals as possible into my system, eating organic meat, vegetables, milk and I only drink reverse osmosis purified water enhanced with stabilized oxygen.

And eliminated the stress of being consumed by the thought of having Cancer and dying. Obsessing about it and stressing about it is a sure way of living less.

Living less in both time and quality of life.

Enjoy your life, love and don't make yourself or the disease the center and be all of your life. Disease and death are the human condition in a polluted world. The cure is to learn to help and care for those around you so you grow spiritually and are a source of strength and inspiration for your loved ones and not a drain on them. This will make you a happier, healthier person generally, which is mandatory for having a healthy immune system.

All this may or may not cure cancer, but it is my belief that quality of life is more important than quantity. If you let a cancer diagnosis kill your life and consume your relationships, you've already allowed it to kill what is really important in life, and that's not your body.

We are all dying. The real job is to remember to live while dying instead of letting a medical diagnosis consume you more than the disease.

How long do you have to live is your revealing question. Try asking how you can live and love and receive through giving and caring for others and understand that you are handicapping yourself by focusing on death instead of life.

I have a diagnosis for you that is way more obvious than your cancer diagnosis. You are alive now, today this minute.

So, try thinking of life and how you can be strong and happy for your family.

Personally, I want to be remembered as a living, loving, giving person who was and continues to be a source of strength to everyone for the rest of their lives. I don't want to be the person everyone is relieved to see go because I "suffered" so much.

How do you want to live?
harvey

Postby niccolo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 am

he Relationship of Chronic Viral Hepatitis, Alcoholism, and Cirrhosis to Liver Cancer

Medical Author: Jay W. Marks, MD
Medical Editor: Leslie J. Schoenfield, MD, PhD

Discover the connection between viral hepatitis, alcoholism, cirrhosis, and liver cancer. Cancer can start within the liver (primary liver cancer or hepatocellular cancer) or spread to the liver (metastatic liver cancer) from other sites, such as the colon. Cancer that starts in the liver, which I will refer to simply as liver cancer, is the fifth most common cancer in the world. In the U.S., it is among the 10 most common cancers. This cancer is more frequent among Native Americans, Asians, Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics than among Caucasians.

Liver cancer is a bad cancer. It has frequently spread beyond the liver by the time it is discovered, and only 5% of patients with liver cancer that has begun to cause symptoms survive even five years without treatment. The only hope for patients who are at risk for liver cancer is regular surveillance so that the cancers can be found early. Early cancers can be treated by surgical removal (resection), destruction of the individual tumors, or liver transplantation. Although the current techniques for surveillance are not very good at detecting early liver cancer, newer techniques are being tested and appear to be better.

The most common diseases associated with liver cancer are chronic viral hepatitis, alcoholism, and cirrhosis (scarring of the liver). Moreover, chronic viral hepatitis is common in alcoholism, and both viral hepatitis and alcoholism cause cirrhosis which usually precedes the development of cancer. Therefore, the contributions and interrelationships of alcohol abuse, viral hepatitis, and cirrhosis in the development of liver cancer are complex. Despite the complexity, it is important to try to understand the contributions of each disease so that patients at highest risk for liver cancer can be targeted for surveillance. Theoretically, they also might be targeted with treatments that prevent the development of liver cancer, when such treatments are developed.
niccolo

Postby adalberto » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:56 am

my uncle had it for an year and then he passed away
adalberto

Return to General Cancer Discussion