Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Technology to Test For Cancer With a Single Drop of Blood

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long does it take for a bladder infection to go away?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby achiya68 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:05 pm

I've had a bladder infection for a little under two weeks now. When it had first started up, there had been a lot of blood in my urine, enough to turn it a dark red/brown in the morning (after first waking up), and that was it. I went to the doctor a few days later, and got ten days of antibiotics. (Specifically sulfameth/trimethoprim.) I've just recently finished them, and while the bleeding has let up a lot (it's only a pinkish/brown at its worst), it's still there. Should I go to the doctor again and get another round of antibiotics, or will it go away on its own with plenty of water now? I really don't want to risk a kidney infection.
achiya68

Postby mannix » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:09 pm

I use this medical website for lots of things. My sister is a doctor and she told me about this site. She also had me drink a lot of cranberry juice when I was getting bladder infections.

By Katrina Woznicki
WebMD Health News

Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

Aug. 23, 2010 -- Scientists report that within eight hours of drinking cranberry juice, the juice could help prevent bacteria from developing into an infection in the urinary tract.

Previous studies have suggested that the active compounds in cranberry juice are not destroyed by the digestive system after people drink them, but instead work to fight against bacteria, including E. coli. This latest study, presented at the national meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston, affirms that and provides evidence of the medicinal value of cranberries.

The new research suggests that the beneficial substances in cranberry juice could reach the urinary tract and prevent bacterial adhesion within eight hours.

Researchers from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts grew strains of E. coli in urine collected from healthy people before and after they drank cranberry juice cocktail.

How Cranberry Juice Treats Urinary Tract Infections

A mixture of cranberry juice, water, and sweeteners found in cranberry juice cocktail was used for the study because it is the most popular cranberry beverage. The researchers discovered that in petri dishes, cranberry metabolites in the juice prevented E. coli from sticking to other bacteria, limiting its ability to grow and multiply. If E. coli is able to connect with other bacteria, such as the bacteria found in the urinary tract, it forms a layer or "biofilm." This allows the bacteria to multiply and produce an infection.

"A number of controlled clinical trials -- these are carefully designed and conducted scientific studies done in humans -- have concluded that cranberry juice really is effective for preventing urinary tract infections," says study researcher Terri Anne Camesano, PhD, in a news release. "That has important implications, considering the size of the problem and the health care costs involved."

Other than that, my sister prescribes 10 days of Amoxcillin for a advanced bladder infection.
mannix

Postby dennis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:11 pm

When you feel a bladder or urinary tract infection starting, eliminate all sugary foods and sodas from your diet until the infection is under control. Reintroducing them too quickly can cause a recurrence of the infection.

Cranberry capsules and cranberry juice are excellent infection fighters. They contain nutrients that prohibit bacteria from attaching to the lining of the bladder.
dennis

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials