Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long does it take before hpv turns to cancer?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby jager15 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:32 pm

I am 37 yrs old, and have had the cryo procedure 3 times in my life. First one 20 yrs ago. One test showed 13 different types of the high risk hpv. And that I am a CIN 2..I have had a total hyst, and no cervix, but yet this virus keeps coming back. I am having alot of complications pain, discharge, and leaking urine. About 2 yrs ago, I was told I have blood in my urine. I brushed it off hoping maybe it would go away.. What are the chances this could turn to vaginal cancer or one of the other cancers in this area. I am really scared and concerned that this virus has come back in full force..
jager15

Postby suthley » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:33 pm

These are questions that should only be addressed by your doctor. Please see them.
suthley

Postby clarance » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:44 pm

HPV does not turn to cancer.
clarance

Postby budington69 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Denise is wrong; HPV infection can lead to cancer:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/HPV

You need to talk to your doctor about the risks you face in the future.
budington69

Postby lamonte4 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Cervical cancer. Each year, about 12,000 women get cervical cancer in the U.S. Almost all of these cancers are HPV-associated.http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#cause

Acording to CDC reports the average time it takes for women to develop cervical/vaginal cancer as a result of HPV infection is around 15 years from the time of infection. The good news is that when caught early these cancers are very treatable. Stay on top of this and you will be OK it is impossible to know why you have been "singled out" and are getting a more severe reaction than other people. Best Wishes
lamonte4

Postby chonen » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Denise is correct. HPV, in all its various strains, do NOT turn into cancer. Your cells may turn cancerous whether you have any form of HPV or not. If you've had children, there's your reason for leaking urine. Not getting your pap every year is just dumb. Did they leave your ovaries?? If so, it sounds more like early menopause.

Well, 90$.% of vulvar cancers are caused by scc, not HPV...
chonen

Postby walden » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Many (most?) people with HPV do NOT go on to develop cancer.

Family history is not usualy relevant with cervical or vaginal cancer.

If you have had pre-cancerous cells detected, then not having the recommended follow ups and seeing your dr when new symptoms develop is irresponsible.

The only way to know if there is something of concern or if this is a simple urinary tract infection is to see a Dr.
walden

Postby cleon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Genital HPV types cause abnormal cell changes. The over growth of cell changes can persist and progress to cause cervical, vulva, anal and vaginal cancers. HPV is a necessary cause of all cervical cancer other risk factors can cause the virus to progress. High risk HPV types are found in virtually all cervical cancers. Vulva and vaginal cancer can be due to other causes but HPV can persist and progress and cause some of these cancers. .

Due to no cervix your Pap test is now taken of the vaginal vault. Our Pap tests are necessary after a hysterectomy due to severe cell changes of the cervix. In rare causes cervical cancer can re-occur. Cancer cells can metalize to other areas.

Cervical, vulva and vaginal cancer due to HPV are not hereditary cancers. Things in our medical history can cause us not to fight the virus as most do.

Squamous cell changes that the virus usually cases are usually slow growing. How the virus reacts is up to each individual immune system.
Vaginal intra-epithelial neoplasia (VAIN). VAIN is grades as CIN VAIN 1, 2,3
VAIN is more common in women following a hysterectomy for cervical cancer or severe pre-cancerous changes (CIN).
VAIN doesn’t usually have any symptoms
http://www.mdanderson.org/transcripts/cancer-newsline/2011/vaginal-cancer-linked-to-human-papillomavirus-virus--hpv--9-6-11.htm
Vaginal Cancers
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/269188-overview
Vulva cancer can be due to a progression of the virus of the vulva.

I am not sure if what you are experiencing is due to a progressive persistent HPV infection. Some of what you are explaining could be due to other factors…but you do need to see a gynecologist and tell him about your symptoms and have a pelvic along with an Vaginal Vault test (Pap of the vaginal canal). I think you body is telling you to get some answers.

I was diagnosed with VaIN one year post total hysterectomy I have had two LEEP and one excisions of the external vulva CIS, both vaginal cuff/vault and vulva cell changes were due to HPV.

Vaginal cancers is more rare than cervical cancer. Vulva cancer has been on the rise for the last few years.
cleon

Postby rae4 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Your question will be better phrased if stated as: Is there an increased cancer risk if you have hpv. The answer is yes.
rae4

Return to General Cancer Discussion