Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long does colon cancer take to develop?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby clifford » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 am

I am 23 years old and in pretty good shape. I had a colonoscopy about 2 years ago and everything was fine. About 1 year ago I had a sigmoidoscopy and everything was alright there as well.I dont have a family history of colon cancer either, i just tend to worry about this more than some would. I have almost constant abdominal pain with thin stool. I am going to the doctor later this week, but any information would be greatly appreciated.
clifford

Postby thor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:38 am

It takes 5-8 years.
thor

Postby craig » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:48 am

It takes 15 yrs for it to start and turn into cancer not 5-8 yrs ..Sorry

Source ~ Doctor
craig

Postby vogel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:52 am

I have been experiencing rectal bleeding for going on two years now. I have lost 40 lbs and I have thin stools sometimes. No fissure was found and I am not in constant pain, like hroids would cause. I am getting a colonoscopy soon to let me know what it causing it. This subject worries me right now
vogel

Postby claud28 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:56 am

Have you been tested for Chrons disease/IBS? Celiac? Gluten allergy?
Have them measure your fat soluble vitamin levels, provide a stool sample and have them do the full work up including vit levels, pancreatic enzymes etc.

what about an endoscopy- have you had one of those in addition to the sig and the colonoscopy? They can also often obtain a tissue sample/ biopsy at this time to test for allergic reactions/ tissue damage etc.

Its less likely to be colon cancer than other abdominal issues. Good luck! If you don't get an answer, keep trying, keep asking questions, find another doctor and bring him all your reports until you get help- be your own best advocate!
claud28

Return to Colon Cancer