Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long do dogs with lymphoma live for?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby firth » Wed May 15, 2013 4:02 pm

We were concerned about our dogs health over recent months. He is a 7 year old Rottweiler. he has shown the symptoms of weight loss (hes always being 46kg and is now down to 38 kg), diarreah, increase thirst and urinating, and excessive appetite.... stealing everything in sight like raw turnip and potatoes..... which is a huge change in this normally really well trained rotti's behaviour. The vet checked him out for diabetes, and originally suspected malabsorption. She checked all his bloods and suspects that he's got lymphoma in gastro tract but the only way to confirm is further investigation and biopsys which will cost between 200-600 pound. She says she doesn't recommend that cos it isn't gonna change anything if we knew and unfortunately he isnt insured. She is pretty certain now that it is lymphoma. She then discussed steroid therapy, but cos he's already starving all the time, it will increase his appetite more and therefore increase the risk. She agrees that he isn't in pain but he's lost more weight at last appointment. She says we can't leave him too long cos he could become aggressive over food, which she says is not a trait of his and will be down to illness. She wants us to remember him as the good dog he is.
She advised us to give him working dog and puppy food which is high calorie to try and put weight on him and to order medication of the Internet to help him absorb food. She's given us the name and says we can get online a lot cheaper than she could give us it. She thinks this might buy him a few months. But he's to go back in 2 weeks... If he's not put on any weight and still starving then we need to revisit options. She was brilliant. He has became even more thirsty and we are now measuring how much he is drinking. He can't get through the night without having to go out the back for the toilet. The increase in calories.... Which we done after last appointment seems to be satisfying him a wee bit more. Can anyone give any advice as to prognosis etc? Thanks in advance.
firth

Postby stem » Wed May 15, 2013 4:07 pm

I've known one dog with lymphoma and if yours is similar, the news is not good. Do the best for him as long as you can following the vet's directions, but prepare yourself that his time with you may be growing short. You may be able to prolong his life with expensive treatments, but these can be more painful or uncomfortable than the disease itself. If it were my dog (and considering my finances), I'd look for signs of pain or other inability to enjoy life, and then get ready to say goodbye. That's advice no one wants to hear, but it may be the best thing for the dog.

With the one dog I knew, she lasted several months after the diagnosis, and could have lived up to another year with chemo.

Cancer is evil.
stem

Postby hadwin » Wed May 15, 2013 4:16 pm

I am so very sorry.

Have had three friends lose their rottweilers with lymphoma just in the last few months.. and one just last week.

I have to say that they lasted a few months from diagnosis, however, it does sound like your boy is further down the road than this.

I would certainly try the steroid therapy as this is what is needed to keep them ok for another few months. I would also suggest feeding 3 to 4 times a day as well to help him keep his weight.

So very very sorry.
hadwin

Postby gren » Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 pm

I am not expert about the topic.I would certainly try the steroid therapy as this is what is needed to keep them OK for another few months. I would also suggest feeding 3 to 4 times a day as well to help him keep his weight.
gren

Postby giorgio61 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:23 pm

I am not expert about the topic.I would certainly try the steroid therapy as this is what is needed to keep them OK for another few months. I would also suggest feeding 3 to 4 times a day as well to help him keep his weight.
Lymphoma
Bladder, Brain, Head & Neck, Hemangiosarcoma, Lymphoma, Mammary, Mast Cell Tumor, Osteosarcoma, Skin, Testicular Cancers
Antiangiogenesis, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Radiation, Surgery, Complementary & Alternative Treatments
Afterlife
Most of the time, lymphoma in dogs appears as “swollen glands” (lymph nodes) that can be seen or felt under the neck, in front
of the shoulders, or behind the knee. Occasionally, lymphoma can affect lymph nodes that are not visible or palpable from
outside the body, such as those inside the chest or in the abdomen. Other symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of
appetite, weight loss, lethargy, difficulty breathing and increased thirst or urinations. Cutaneous lymphosarcoma can cause
redness or flakiness of the skin, ulceration (especially near the lips and on the footpads), itchiness or lumps in the skin. Clinical
signs will vary depending on the stage of the disease, volume of tumor and anatomic location of the lymphoma.
Definition
Symptoms
Risk Factors
While we understand how lymphomas form, we still do not understand why. There is growing evidence and much speculation
that environmental factors such as exposure to pesticides (especially herbicide 2,3-D) ( Read New York Times Article: Lawn
Herbicide Called Cancer Risk for Dogs) . A new study published in April 2012 finds that utilizing a chemical lawn service to achieve a
lush lawn is likely causing malignant cancer in many pet dogs. In the study, researchers identified 263 dogs with
biopsy-confirmed canine malignant lymphoma (CML), 240 dogs with benign tumors, and 230 dogs undergoing surgeries
unrelated to cancer. Then, they asked the pet owners to complete a 10-page questionnaire. Scientists found that dogs with
malignant lymphoma were 70 percent more likely to live in a home where professionally applied lawn pesticides had been used.
Dogs with the serious malignancy were also 170 percent more likely to come from homes where owners used chemical
insecticides to combat pests inside of the home.

There is some speculation that strong magnetic fields may increase the incidence of lymphoma in dogs, but there is currently no
absolute proof of this. Evidence has emerged of a possible genetic correlation in dogs because of the higher prevaience of
lymphoma in certain breeds, but further studies need to be performed to determine the exact risk factors involved in canine
lymphoma.
dog cancer, lymphoma in dogs, canine cancer, dogs with cancer, dogs with lymphoma, what
causes lymphoma in dogs, treatments for cancer in dogs, treatments for dogs with lymphoma,
dogs, symptoms of lymphoma in dogs, dogs, golden retrivers with lymphoma, rottweilers with
lymphoma, why do dogs get cancer, dogs, why do dogs get lymphoma, cures for dogs with
lymphoma, dogs, dog, dogs, dog, dogs, dog, dogs, dog, dogs, dog, dogs
Lymphoma is one of the most common cancers seen in dogs. Although there are breeds that appear
to be at increased risk for this disease, lymphoma can affect any dog of any breed at any age. It
accounts for 10-20% of all cancers in dogs.
giorgio61

Postby jeannette71 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:31 pm

It's a very difficult to say exact time because of lymphoma. If he is suffering from acute case of lymphoma, it will take only few months i.e two to three months only which mentioned your doctor's
or if it is a chronic case, it will take time. So I would suggest you, first you conform that whether
it chronic or acute?
jeannette71

Postby jonatan » Wed May 15, 2013 4:39 pm

It's a very difficult to say exact time because of lymphoma. If he is suffering from acute case of lymphoma, it will take only few months i.e two to three months only which mentioned your doctor's
or if it is a chronic case, it will take time. So I would suggest you, first you conform that whether
it chronic or acute?
Hi, I am so sorry you are going through this. Our first boxer was diagnosed with lymphoma after i noticed a lump on her chin. At first we hoped it was from an infected tooth, but biopsied it and found out it was lymphoma. She was 8 1/2 at the time and we chose not to do chemo as a boxer's life expectancy is on the shorter side (8-10) years. The vet said she could have as long as 6 months without treatment.
jonatan

Return to Lymphoma