Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long can you live with pancreatic cancer?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby ludano » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:48 pm

my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and i know survival is highly unlikely. how long will he live?
ludano

Postby ethelred » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 pm

Its really all in Gods hands. I am telling you this from experience. I am an Oncology RN and work with pancreatic cancer patients and have for the last 13 yrs.
I can tell you its unpredictable and no one can tell you for sure how long your dad has to live. I have treated one gentleman for the last 2 yrs with chemotherapy and he was expected to die within 6 months, but now has survived over 2 yrs longer than they expected. He is doing very well.
Sometimes they have something called a Whipple procedure to prolong life expectancy while they fight the disease. Its not intended to cure the disease, but rather prolong life while treatment occurs. Its basically a re route of the pancreatic ducts into the small intestine. Its big surgery.
I also treated a 17 yr old boy with pancreatic cancer and he died in the same season as his diagnosis (approx 3 months).
I just said a prayer for your dad. Peace to you and your family.
ethelred

Postby thorne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:55 pm

i have a very close friend of the family that is going on 4 and a half years with pancreatic cancer. There is nothing left for the doctors to do, and they say that she has a few weeks to a few months left.
thorne

Postby joscelin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:59 pm

Average survival is about 6-18 months. Depends on how advanced it is at diagnosis, which part of the pancreas the cancer is in, and how far the cancer has spread. Sorry your Dad has this wicked cancer.
joscelin

Postby peverell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 am

Don't listen to anyone time. It all depends on the person, the exact stage the cancer is in and the persons outlook on it. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in May of 2005. They expected her to be around a few weeks. She's still here. She has some really really bad days and is in pain a lot but she's still here. Her doc. says it's all because she keeps a positive outlook on it. She refuses to give up plus, she has her whole family, friends, and strangers supporting her and praying for her.

You do need to spend time with him and be there for him. Help him out. Just talk to him and let him know you are there for him. I'll keep you in my thoughts and I wish you the best. If you ever want to talk, vent, cry, yell, whatever then e-mail me.
peverell

Postby davidbeckham » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:24 am

For some real inspiration regarding pancreatic cancer, you need to know about Randy Pausch:

http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/
davidbeckham

Postby halliwell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:35 am

a few months typically

a year if the person is lucky.

what a tragic disease.
halliwell

Postby watt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:47 am

My prayers are with you
watt

Return to Pancreatic Cancer