Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long can you live with lung cancer?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby hearpere » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 am

So my aunt just got diagnosed with lung cancer. She is in her 40's and she has smoked her whole life like the rest of my family. I am the only non smoker. I hate cigarettes with a passion. She has two kids that are very worried. They said the cancer is large, whatever that means. I am just wondering how long a person could survive after being diagnosed with this type of cancer? I dont think people really understand the risks when they light up those nasty cigarettes. So I probably will be attending a funeral in the next year?
hearpere

Postby all » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:08 am

So my aunt just got diagnosed with lung cancer. She is in her 40's and she has smoked her whole life like the rest of my family. I am the only non smoker. I hate cigarettes with a passion. She has two kids that are very worried. They said the cancer is large, whatever that means. I am just wondering how long a person could survive after being diagnosed with this type of cancer? I dont think people really understand the risks when they light up those nasty cigarettes. So I probably will be attending a funeral in the next year?
Well since she's a smoker i say round 5 to 10 years that's just my prediction. I have lung cancer my self. I'm a non-smoker. I was diagnosed when i was 6 im 13 now still have it sadly. So it really depends on there life style. Non-smokers would probably live longer than a smoker with lung cancer. I hope I helped out a little.
all

Postby chonen6 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:13 am

It all depenjds on the staging of the cancer,and how well they respond to treatment. Stage 4 has the worst outcome, but you can keep the cancer controlled and possibly in remission for years.

I had a friend that was diagnozied with lung cancer, heavy smoker and a welder. They gave him 6 months, he died after 6 weeks.

I have an uncle who has stage 4 lung cancer, they gave him 2 years. He's 1.5 years in, but on some miracle pill that appears to be shrinking the tumors, so we're hopeful. He also looks great, works out, walks, watches what he eats. The miracle pill is must better than chemo.

My mom has stage 3c recurent colon cancer, and has been told that she has 8 months without treatment, 2 years with (if it works). But these are just estimates based on her age, tumor staging, agressiveness, etc. Every patient is different and the prognosis can vary. Even if they say 1 year, it could be 2, could be 5, just depends on the patients reaction to treatment, and their desire.

Don't lose hope.
chonen6

Postby brodrik » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:16 am

Depend upon the situation of person but today you have the treatment of it.
http://mesoblog.org/blog/treatment-mesothelioma-lung-cancer/
brodrik

Return to Lung Cancer