Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long can someone live with prostate cancer?

Discuss Prostate Cancer

Postby santos » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:01 am

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer with stage 1 at 79 years old. Then a year later, he was diagnosed with stage 3. Didn't even bother stop at stage 2. Now that he is 81, and within a few months ago his prostate cancer has spread into the lymph nodes and therefor it is now a stage 4.

Within 2-3 years of diagnosed, would you say that he has an aggressive cancer? He told me his psa is less then 1% and a gleason score of 7. He now takes bone scan 2x a year and is on hormone treatment.

Is this a weird case? Or is this a normal findings on my dad's cancer compare to other patients?

Thanks!!
santos

Postby honani » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 am

I had radical prostate surgery in December 2007. The prostate and lymph nodes were removed but the cancer had spread beyond the nodes.I've been on hormones and the cancer has been under control but no one knows how long hormones will work.
honani

Postby sagar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:10 am

Well if i tell you generally so if someone diagnosed in the early stage then he can live long as compare to the person who diagnosed in the final stage but it does not mean that there is no hope, there are many other reasons and factor are depend upon the long life of a person.
sagar

Postby carolos » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 am

When metastasis or so to say secondaries are noted, he may live a few months.
If he wants to live longer, he can take chemo by acupressure techniques & Indian Natural Remedies.

PS. If satisfied/benefited with, inform others to browse 'Yahoo Answers’ on any health issue
carolos

Postby cacey » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:34 am

Aggressive? That's a great questions for his doctor. A person with prostate cancer can live for many years. No matter how long he has left, it is important to focus on his quality of life.
cacey

Postby cuddle35 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:40 am

I don't really know. But God bless him with a long life :)
cuddle35

Return to Prostate Cancer