Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long can someone live with Melanoma Cancer?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby armon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 pm

My grandfather was found today to have Melanoma Skin cancer. How long could he possibly live? Im not sure what stage it is but could i get a estimate? Also could it be cured if there are spots around his body?
armon

Postby yates11 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Melanoma is very aggressive cancer with poor prognosis.Following three factors are very important--
.Tumor of greater depth.ulceration metastasise fast by lymphatics and blood leading to grim out come.
.Ulceration,old age,lesion in head neck face area and in male low survival.
.Established lymph node and distant spread poor prognosis.

You can read ----
Prognostic Factors Analysis of 17,600 Melanoma Patients: Validation of the American Joint Committee on Cancer Melanoma Staging System .
yates11

Postby paschal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm

It is important to keep in mind that once diagnosed with melanoma the future is not always grim. When caught early, surgical removal shows a cure rate of approximately 95%. Even patients with more advanced cases should have hope as the cure rate continues to rise.

A patient’s course of therapy is largely determined by the thickness of the primary tumor and stage of the cancer, as every stage requires different treatment. In the earlier stages, surgery is used to remove the primary tumor and determine if all the cancerous cells have been removed.
paschal

Postby serafim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 pm

If I'm remembering right, I think melanoma is the most curable type of skin cancer and has a relatively high survival rate. He may need surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy, but there's a good chance he'll live. Google melanoma and you'll find tons of results. Use reliable sites like webMD or mayo clinic, among many others.
serafim

Postby albrecht » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:44 pm

It is impossible to answer you without knowing the stage. Stage 1A has a 5 year survival rate of 85% at stage 4 the median survival is 6-7 months. However, this is the most unpredictable cancer there is and you can see patients survive years, but we don’t know why.
albrecht

Postby halliwell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Link will answer your question.
halliwell

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer