Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How long can a dog live with cancerous tumors?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby haraford » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:57 am

My Dog seems to have tumors or cysts popping up everywhere in the last 12 months. At first I thought they were just fat lumps because she is so overweight, but now I am convinced she may have cancer. She is mostly Chow Chow, but mixed with a few other breeds. She is going in 13 years old, so I don't want to put her through too much at the Vet. I feel that at her age it is only fair to let things take their natural course. Would taking her to the Vet and having a series of test done just cause her more stress and steal more time from her? She is a very emotional dog and has a very emotional connection with me. I have had her since I took her in at 3 weeks when she was abandoned and she has been my best friend for almost 13 years. I'm terrified of losing her.
haraford

Postby prince » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:04 am

Don't make her suffer, have her put down. Its the right thing.

WTF is with the down votes? I guess letting your dog suffer with cancer until it cant walk a from the pain and then eventually can't breath is a better way out.
prince

Postby walden » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:11 am

trade her in at the shelter for a newer model
walden

Postby eamonn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 am

First of all I totally sympathise with how worried you must be about losing her. I've had my dog for 5 years and she is my best mate. I cannot imagine a day in my life without her.

However I do want to stress to you that taking her to the vet is the best option. Not only will it determine what the actual lumps are BUT they also could provide your dog with medication if necessary. Imagine if she is in pain? Wouldn't you want her to stop hurting? Best to have her checked out immediately, and put your mind to rest.

I often wonder to myself that I would be heartbroken if my dog were to die accidentally or tragically. But if I get the chance to have her in my life and her die of an old age, then even though this will still upset me greatly, I'll at least be grateful that I had her all her life and that I provided her with a loving home. I know your dog is getting older, and unfortunately death is inevitable. It is the worst thing in the world losing a pet- its like losing family. They become our family, a huge part of our lives.

I really encourage that you have her checked out. It wont cause her any more stress and if she is in pain then at least they could possibly provide medication that may ease this.

Good luck with everything and may your pooch have many wonderful years left!

P.S Its great to hear that there is nothing different about her behaviour, eating or sleeping habbits which is obviously why you haven't stressed about taking her to the vet. The dog I currently have, I had her mother for 12 years and she developed a few fatty lumps. But at least by taking her you have peace of mind? You know your dog better than anyone, so its your call :)
eamonn

Postby lee21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:33 am

It's a tough call with old dogs, but wouldn't you feel better if you knew for sure whether she has a problem? You could spend the last years of her life worrying over a condition she doesn't even have. A lot of old dogs develop lumps and bumps and it is often easy for a vet to perform either a needle aspiration or a small biopsy to determine what they are.

If the dog DOES have cancer, then I think the road you have chosen of not taking extraordinary measure and subjecting her to invasive treatments is a good one. Old dogs recover from physical and emotional stress slowly, and you don't want her last months to be painful and traumatic. Supportive palliative care to keep her comfortable will be better for you and her.

I have a dog who was diagnosed at 13 with an unknown growth in his pelvis. Surgery, even to biopsy, would have been very invasive and I decided he was too old to put him through that. Instead, I chose supportive treatment. That was 3 years ago, and that dog is still going strong.
lee21

Postby macnicol » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:39 am

I don't know der..,
macnicol

Postby dohasan85 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 am

Why not take her to the vet and have a fine needle aspirate done on these lumps if the vet thinks it's warranted. Old dogs tend to develop lipomas and they're just non malignant fatty cysts. Clearly she's not showing any signs of a malignancy.

If you take her to the vet you will know one way or the other and you need to know because on the slim chance she may have a malignancy there are certain things you can do for her, the most important being pain relief. Cancer is a very painful disease and dogs are very stoic. They don't show pain until it's severe. Letting cancer take its natural course without pain relief would be so painful for your dog and I'm sure you don't want that for her.

From what you say there is absolutely no reason to even think of putting her down. She sounds to be a healthy old girl who is doing very well.
dohasan85

Postby berthold100 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:50 am

your dog might just have fatty cysts that do appear with age ... but it would not hurt to have the vet take a look ... they could do a fine needle biopsy (not brutally expensive and not painful to the dog) and you could make your decisions from there ... my dog was diagnosed with cancer the first time, biopsy, tumor removed without clear margins, and given 3 months to live ... a year later i brought her to a different vet who told me she now had a mammary tumor and 3 months to live ... it is now another year later and she just turned 13 and is still going strong ... she is definitely more quiet but still eats well, goes for walks daily, just sleeps a bit more and does not play as much as she used to ... both vets told me to not treat her due to the types of cancer and her advanced age and i am happy i did not treat her cuz she is still fine, just more of a senior dog ...
berthold100

Postby lemmy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:57 am

depends on her health
talk to vet about it
lemmy

Postby sinai » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:03 am

I'm a dog parent myself and I understand what you are going through these days. Unfortunately, some things are just bound to happen. We can't do nothing but accept it. I know you love your dog and sometimes the best way to show your love is to let your dog go. Don't let your pet dog suffer. Don't prolong the agony. Ask your vet.
sinai

Next

Return to General Cancer Discussion