Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How do you tell a 10 year old boy that he has cancer?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby adhamh21 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:17 am

My sister just found out her 10 year old son has lymphoma (sp?) cancer. We aren't sure what stage it is at yet. Should we tell him now or when we know more? And how do we tell him? He already wants to go home. How do we tell him that this is just the beginning? And please, all who believe, pray for him. His name is Nicholas. Thank you
adhamh21

Postby chozai39 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:29 am

wait until you know how far progressed it is.
but if he asks questions during the testing you can explain it in simple terms to him

once you know how far along it is you could word it something like:

"there are little bad things inside you growing faster than they should and if they get too big then they might hurt you. the treatment that they are doing is to make sure they dont get too big and to hopefully to make them go away"

but the most important thing is to stay strong, confident and try not to cry. because if a kid sees that he will get scared for mummy and himself
chozai39

Postby hahnee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 am

First of all know that he is in my prayers. Next you need to remeber that he will be asking alot of questions that will need as honest of answers as you can get. If you don't know the answer to a question, tell him you don't know. Try to keep him as up to date as you can. Kids feel better if they know what's going on with their bodies. Also you should get as many friends and family to be involved as possible. Family/friends can be the extra push that he might need from time to time. Finially now is a time to take a family vacation. Go out more often (if you can) and celebrate milestones in treatment. But make sure to not just focus on his illness. show him that he IS able to do whatever he wants to do. Don't let an illness stop him.
Also if you can, try to get him involved in kids support groups. It really does help.
hahnee

Postby lawler » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:42 am

Usually the pediatric oncologist and the oncology team which includes nurse practitioners and medical social workers will share this information in an age appropriate manner with the child.

Children should be told the truth about their condition unless they ask not to be told. Kids are smart . . you can't really hide this type of information from them in today's world . . they'll figure it out . . so it is best if the medical team tells them with the parents there too. This way the child can ask as many questions as he needs to . . and get real answers. It would be impossible to keep this from him anyway, especially if he undergoes chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery . . he would want to know what is going on.

Basically, when my son was told he had cancer . . they just gave it to him in total facts . . exactly what it was . . and where it was . . and what treatment was available. The doctors also told him it was serious, but to ignore statistics. Even though the information they delivered was horrifying and hard to hear . . it was necessary so that we would know what it was and how hard to fight it.

Good luck.
lawler

Postby jonatan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:53 am

I certainly will keep him in my prayers. . .I hope he gets better!!

And should you tell him? Well, that's entirely up the family. I really can't say I'd know what to do. . . it's just so sad. Do what you feel like would be best for him.

-God Bless!
jonatan

Postby arlis100 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:03 am

I will be praying for Nicholas. I am so sorry to hear he will have to go through this. I would definitely be honest with him, but maybe wait until you know more. He will probably have questions. My best to you and your family.
arlis100

Postby cwentun33 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:15 am

tell him you love him. and that the doctors are gonna make him all better. give him a special teddy bear tll him its gonna help him..... think positive and its gonna be fiine. stay stong
cwentun33

Postby kirkley36 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:25 am

you tell him the truth. Everyone at children's hospital will help
kirkley36

Postby stewart » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:28 am

You all are in my prayers....I really feel Nicholas should be told by his Dr. when the Dr feels it is the right tine...
stewart

Postby rico » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:32 am

you need to be honest with this little boy its his life and he should know what is happening to his body
rico

Next

Return to Lymphoma