Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How do i handle my best friends death?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby lundy19 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:47 am

I had a best friend, Betina Goettl...she lost her life to leukemia a few months ago. She was so wonderful and talented and had such a sweet air to her. I was called down to the office out of my class at school, my mom told me she had passed. I didn't know what to do, i was in shock...the day after i broke down and wept for what seemed like hours. i couldn't stop crying. soon after i was feeling better and not so sad after talking to my pastor and others around me...but when i think of her, i know she is so happy in heaven and so much better off...but i cant make myself feel ok with it, i feel like i have a hidden sadness and i cant get past it, what do i do? i cant even look at pictures of her without wanting to just cry, and cry. I turn to the lord every chance i get, but i still feel extreme sadness. Her family has learned how to cope and feel at peace with it, why cant i?
lundy19

Postby fogarty » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:51 am

Everyone deals with loss in some way and there's no "set" time as to when you'll stop feeling sad. It took me 2 years to stop feeling so sad about my father's death, and I was only 10 years old at the time (I'm 27 now, so it was years ago). All you can really do is continue to seek help from your pastor and friends. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful support system. After my dad died, I had no one to talk to (my mom hated him) so I ended up developing some issues and later at age 16 sook treatment for them, but I know you'll do better. Maybe you should put the pics away in a box for now, but don't get rid of them. You'll regret it if you do. I still have pics of my father, but I didn't look at them for awhile. You'll be okay.
fogarty

Postby dawayne » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 am

Everyone deals with loss in some way and there's no "set" time as to when you'll stop feeling sad. It took me 2 years to stop feeling so sad about my father's death, and I was only 10 years old at the time (I'm 27 now, so it was years ago). All you can really do is continue to seek help from your pastor and friends. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful support system. After my dad died, I had no one to talk to (my mom hated him) so I ended up developing some issues and later at age 16 sook treatment for them, but I know you'll do better. Maybe you should put the pics away in a box for now, but don't get rid of them. You'll regret it if you do. I still have pics of my father, but I didn't look at them for awhile. You'll be okay.
I know how you feel. My grandfather was avery close friend of mine and he passed a few months ago. My whole family except my mom and I seem to be past the grieving stage, but sometimes I get really sad about it still.
Assuming you are a Christian, I would confide in your Christian friends and adults you trust. Create a support system and cling to it. Your friends and family will only be too happy to help and comfort you.
Go to God about it. Pray and keep up in the Word.

I know the loss of a loved one is really difficult, but you can get through it. God is in control- and He knows what He is doing. :)
dawayne

Postby mansfield » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 am

When I lost a friend of mine in school I turned to the positive memories. I made a book of all pics of her or her and I. I burned CD's of her favorite songs to keep. I wanted to be sure that I remembered her as she was in her prime. She also died of a long term illness. It's ok to feel what your feeling. Her family probably had a lot more time to deal with the inevitability of her death. Feel sad, feel mad but realize that she wouldn't want this for you forever. Cry, laugh, be angry and then cry again. Don't hold in emotion. Be creative though with your memories. Make something that will last you forever that is just for the two of you. Also, it might be good to keep a journal so you have another outlet for your thoughts.
mansfield

Return to Leukemia Forum