Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How Do I Convince My Dad To Let Me Wear A Wig?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby jacky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:01 am

Okay I'm 14 years old and I was diagnose with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and I already started chemotherapy and a little bit of my hair started to shed. I want to wear a wig, but my dad won't let me for some reason. He's a bit strict, but I care too much about my appearance and I don't like being bald. I knew that I probably will loose all of my hair during my chemotherapy treatment and I'm already crying because some of my hair is shedding off. My mom's out of the picture because she's in jail, so I'm just living with my dad and my older brother. Well I asked him a couple of times if I can buy a wig, but he said no he rather wants me to be bald but again I care too much about my appearance. How can I convince my dad to let me wear a wig? I'm miserable right now because I have cancer and the chemotherapy making me losing my hair, because of that I haven't even bother hanging out with my friends because I'm depressed and right now I'm home-schooled but I love to go back to public school, I haven't even bother using Facebook and my iPhone lately because I'm depressed. I don't even know why my dad won't let me wear a wig, I don't like being bald. So what are some ways to convince him in letting me wear a wig?
jacky

Postby Dalbert » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:04 am

that is poor! first of all you are able to desire to coach your self extra approximately homeschooling. an incredible element in recent times is that we are in a position to apply the internet for surprisingly plenty something which comprise training. i don't understand if figuring out to purchase a information superhighway college could be an argument or not yet whilst that's there is this super provider observed as, connections academy. that is unfastened and that's a information superhighway public college so which you would be able to get to benefit each and every thing that highschools who holiday to college learn. extra useful yet in case you do not have a working laptop or pc connections academy provide help to to borrow one for unfastened! Connections academy is super and that i exceptionally reccomend it to everyone oh and p.s. they are commencing off to sign up in 2d semester! tutor your mom the region and each little thing that they ought to furnish. additionally tell a counsler with reference to the matters which you have have been given been having and why you think of it could help in case you have been homeschooled, they could touch your mom and attempt to persuade her extra (in specific situations it helps to have a school genuine communicate with individuals). please inspect the information superhighway web site and communicate on your college counsler and mom :)
Dalbert

Postby Kenner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 am

Sorry to hear that but dad's aren't the best to understand feelings, especially female problems. Tell him what you are telling us. Tell him you feel depressed and going through this tough time with cancer alone is weighing you down and possibly going bald isn't making things any better. Tell him that what you are feeling he can't understand because he wasn't 14 with cancer and that this isn't an easy time for you. Tell him for females hair is so important and without it, you are feeling insecure about how femine you are.

Goodluck sweetie!
Kenner

Postby Gayner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 am

Try explaining your feelings, sometimes dads aren't the best at understanding feelings but I'd say that's where to start
Gayner

Postby Brookes » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 am

Try to make a deal with him. Promise you'll get better grades at school or something if he lets you wear a wig.

Or you could start failing your classes, and when he asks you why, answer it's because you're depressed.

Another solution is to bust your mom out of jail, but I don't think that'll work for you.
Brookes

Postby Stephanos » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:13 am

You might not lose all your hair or very little.

Remember, hair sheds in healthy people too. It's normal for it to shed.

Wear a scarf or hat. That's what many people that I knew used. A wig can be very hot, uncomfortable and a pain to deal with. They are also very expensive.

Stay in touch with your friends and tell them what's going on. They'll help you through this. Talk to the school counselor, your doctors, etc.

Appearance isn't everything. You shouldn't care so much about your appearance anyway. Do you worry about it because you don't like it or are you afraid of what others will think or say? I can promise you that other people won't care one way or another. They have their own issues to deal with. Also, in this day and age, most people know at least one person who has had cancer and had a treatment where the person lost their hair.
They're not going to think poorly of you at all.

Don't say you're bald when you're not. You have no idea how your body will react or if your hair will continue to go at a rapid rate.

Take each day as it comes. Don't assume you're going to go bald. When it happens, deal with it then. Until then, work on what you can change. Talk to people, your counselor or therapist, your doctors. Talk to your father and family. Tell them what's going on with you, how you feel.
Stephanos

Return to Leukemia Forum