Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How Did This Happen To Me?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby Jeremie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:32 pm

I was diagnosed with HPV yesterday, and I am devastated.
I know that it is a common and highly contagious virus, but that information doesn't seem to help right now.
I have the kind that produces genital warts, and as far as I know, that is not the kind that causes cancer.
I cannot seem to find accurate information online about this, so I will have to wait until August, when I see my doctor again.

I lost my virginity to my ex-boyfriend.
It was his first time too.
We broke up a year later and he went on to have several girlfriends and several more flings, and I didn't do anything more than kiss a few guys.
Last summer I met up with him again, and stupidly, I slept with him again.
Then I moved abroad for the year, and haven't slept with or fooled around with anyone until my new boyfriend about 2 months ago.

My questions are:

Do I tell my ex about this?

Is he the most likely transmitter?

Should my new boyfriend see a doctor?

When can I have sex again?

What are my risks?
Jeremie

Postby Wyth » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:33 pm

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.h... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/genital...

There is no test for HPV in men...he will only know if he has genital warts, YES, he is the transmitter if he has been your only sexual contact. You can have sex, The underlying virus is never completely eliminated, however, and genital warts may reappear even after treatment. You may want to consider the Gardasil shot if you meet age requirements.
http://www.gardasil.com/

Genital warts may cause problems during pregnancy. Warts could enlarge, making it difficult to urinate. Warts on the vaginal wall may reduce the ability of vaginal tissues to stretch during childbirth. Rarely, a baby born to a mother with genital warts may develop warts in his or her throat. The baby may need surgery to prevent airway obstruction.
Wyth

Postby Uisdean » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Incubation Period - The time from infection until you have any signs (e.g. a wart or abnormal Pap smear) is both long and variable.
It may be anywhere from a few weeks to more than 1 year.
In addition, any changes that do occur may not be noticed for additional months or years.
Thus, it is often extremely difficult or impossible to figure out who infected whom.

Probably your ex is the source; however, if you have been having unprotected sex with your new boyfriend of two months, that is long enough to contract the disease...once is enough. http://www.womenshealth.com/home/532 yields the following information:

it can cause cervical cancer

it is NOT curable although you can reduce the viral load in your body with appropriate treatments

Diagnosis and Treatment

Most women are diagnosed with HPV during an annual exam on the basis of abnormal Pap tests. A specific test is also available to detect HPV DNA in women. There are no tests for diagnosing HPV in men.

No treatment can kill the virus that causes genital warts. Warts can be removed with laser therapy or by freezing or applying chemicals. Prescription treatments are also available for at home use. Surgery may be necessary for warts that are large or difficult to treat. Warts may recur, and need additional treatment. If you have genital warts, it is best to keep the area as dry as possible and wear all cotton underwear.

Prevention:

Only total absence with of skin to skin contact with an infected individual will insure protection.
Condoms (male and female) and dental dams offer some, but limited protection against this infection.

Annual Gyn exams help to find any evidence of infection and the Pap test that is done periodically will check for early changes associated with HPV infection.

By all means, tell your ex and get tested for other STDs also (meanwhile use condoms).
Your new boyfriend may well carry the virus, have no outward signs of the infection, and never exhibit symptoms. (In Men - May only be diagnosed if warts can be seen.
A vinegar solution is sometimes applied to the skin to help visualize flat warts; (No specific test for the strains of HPV that cause cancer is available at this time for men)

PS: HPV is associated with cervical cancer, and you should continue to have regular pap smears to ascertain that the cells are not changing EVEN IF your doctor says your strain of virus is low risk for cervical cancer....(High risk strains may cause changes in a Pap smear which may rarely progress to cancer.
There are approximately 13 high-risk strains of HPV, of which two (16 & 18) are believed to cause about 70% of all cervical cancer.

Low risk strains sometimes cause changes in a Pap smear, but do not progress to cancer. Of the low-risk strains, two (6 &11) are most likely to cause genital warts)
Uisdean

Postby Carmine » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 pm

I think your ex is the most likely transmitter.
You can go to the std social & dating site called pozcupid.com to see if your ex has HPV.
Carmine

Postby Mallolwch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 pm

I agree, But the virus can be eradicated from the body with a health immune system. Yes it can take up to 2 years but it can be done. If you do alittle more research, HPV is common and yes it seems like the worst thing in the world but you can deal with it. Your ex has had it. And you new boyfriend have or has had it so you should be very honest with Him. Some men don't even know that it exist so be patient and try to explain it once you have accumalated the facts for yourself.
Mallolwch

Postby Wahanassatta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 pm

yes tell your ex about it ,because he mgiht have it also,yes most likely ,you got it from him,so who ever he is having sex with has it too..and your new bf might haevit..yes your new bf shoudl see a docotr right away ,you can have sex again when you use a condom and make sure it doesnt break,your risks are spreading it and making a babay and the babay getting it...
Wahanassatta

Postby sinai » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Well, either you got it from the old guy or the new guy. Trying to figue out who will next to impossible,and will waste a lot of emotion and energy.
You are morally obligated to tell your ex.
Your new boyfriend should see a doctor. . Your doctor should have informed you that you both need to be tested and if necessary your boyfriend needs to be treated. You can have sex with your boyfriend but you will end up infecting him regardless if you are treated or not. That is a moral call on your part. Even when the warts are removed you will always have HPV. Please have your doctor give you a full std screening in August.
sinai

Return to Cervical Cancer