Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: How Scientists Used Shrimp to Help Detect Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How dark should a dog's urine be?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby martinus92 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:01 pm

My 1 year old Pom/chi Oreo has always had what I would consider to be dark urine. She drinks GerberPure nursery water and eats an organic raw diet. Water is always available-in fact there are a minimum of three dishes of water out at all times throughout the house, plus the mug that the cats prefer. Oreo uses piddle pads so it's pretty easy to moniter her urine color and output. I don't have anything to really compare it to-my border collie always went outside until she was very ill and by than her brain tumor had caused diabetes insipidis and her pee was always clear from the sheer volume she drank. Oreo's pee seems very bright yellow-almost day-glo. She has no health problems and is on no medication other than monthly heartworm since I live in the south. Should I make her drink more? I can easily just drop her meals into a bowl of water and she will drink it to get to the meat
martinus92

Postby jerel16 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:06 pm

I'd be more concerned about dark coloured urine.
The darker the urine, the more concentrated the urea is. This would be indicative of the dog not gettng enough fluids.

If she is urinating at a "normal" frequency, drinking well, eating well, and the urine does not have a sweet or "odd" scent to it, I'd say you've got little to worry about.

As another user suggested, it may simply be the water (as you mentioned you give a specific type) affecting the colour.
jerel16

Postby crompton » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Your dog is probably diabetic. If the urine tastes sweet, you should take her to the vet.
crompton

Postby adamko » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:23 pm

I'd get 'em to a vet.. could be a urinary tract infection.
adamko

Postby ryker84 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Dog's don't need special water, I don't know what gerberpure water is but it's possible that is what is affecting her urine color. I guarantee you, regular tap water or if you don't trust your tape water, bottled or filtered water is fine for dogs.
Healthy dogs will regulate their own drinking and water intake. If she has no health concerns or meds, just have fresh clean water available at all times and she will drink what she needs to. Only be concerned if you see blood in the urine, or it she is drinking and urinating excessively as you probably know from diabetes, or producing little to no urine and the color is brown or clear or seems thick or sandy. Other than that, i wouldn't worry about it.
ryker84

Return to Brain Tumors