Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How Common Are Thyroid Nodules - Especially In Younger Women/Teenagers?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby lee » Fri Mar 04, 1994 1:31 am

Do you have one - did you have one... or, do you know someone whom does - or, did? Also, what was your/their age upon finding the nodule?

See, I have a somewhat complex, 2cm cyst on my thyroid (the cyst is kinda' movable and hard/firm). The thing is that I happen to be only 20 and the nodule was found when I was 17... 'thus, I know that my nodule/cyst has been there for at least 3, or 4 years. I also have an enlarged lymph-node behind my right ear - on the bone and by the hair line (this has been enlarged for years, as well.) I'm terrified that I may have some type of thyroid cancer, but the doctors are telling me not to worry because it hasn't really grown, at all. They aren't recommending a biopsy quite yet, since they would rather just watch the mass via ultrasound. I do not have insurance of any kind.

Additional details - I had a child when I was only 15 years young and I have a few rotten/decaying molars... could the following have anything to do with my issues?

Thank you to whom all reply and give me advise.
Do you have one - did you have one... or, do you know someone whom does - or, did? Also, what was your/their age upon finding the nodule?

See, I have a somewhat complex, 2cm cyst on my thyroid (the cyst is kinda' movable and hard/firm). The thing is that I happen to be only 20 and the nodule was found when I was 17... 'thus, I know that my nodule/cyst has been there for at least 3, or 4 years. I also have an enlarged lymph-node behind my right ear - on the bone and by the hair line (this has been enlarged for years, as well.) I'm terrified that I may have some type of thyroid cancer, but the doctors are telling me not to worry because it hasn't really grown, at all. They aren't recommending a biopsy quite yet, since they would rather just watch the mass via ultrasound. I do not have insurance of any kind.

Additional details - I had a child when I was only 15 years young and I have a few rotten/decaying molars... could the following have anything to do with my issues?

lee

Postby dawayne » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 am

dawayne

Postby danvin39 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:35 am

Stats about thyroid nodules>>>

* 1 in 12 - 15 women have thyroid nodules

* 1 in 50 men have thyroid nodules

* 90% of nodules are non cancerous

* If the nodule is cancerous, survival rate is over 90%

* Almost everyone develops a thyroid nodule by the time they turn 50

The most suspected factors to cause a thyroid nodule>>>

*Deficiency of iodine in the diet

*Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (autoimmune hypothyroidism)

*Genetic dysfunction of the receptors which release the hormone that stimulates the thyroid gland known as the thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)

*Repeated radiation treatments to the head and neck area during the developmental stages of childhood

Pregnancy is one of the triggers of hypothyroidism/hashimoto's thyroiditis. The tests to confirm this autoimmune disease - anti TPO (thyroid peroxidase) and TgAb (thyroglobulin).

These antibodies attack and eventually destroy the thyroid gland. Studies show 200mcg of selenium (about 4 brazil nuts) a day has shown to lower TPO antibodies up to 40% in 3 months and "...researchers found that...organ-specific autoantibodies (i.e., thyroid antibodies) -- will disappear after 3 to 6 months of a gluten-free diet."

Thyroid hormone can usually shrink the nodule, or prevent it from growing. There are various types of thyroid hormone from synthetic T4 medication to natural desiccated thyroid hormone which is preferred by many.

Besides sugar and poor dental hygeine, calcium deficiency can cause tooth decay. You cannot absorb calcium without vitamin D. The most accurate test for a calcium deficiency is an ionized calcium test.

Deficiencies commonly seen with a thyroid imbalance include vitamin B12, folate, iron, vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, potassium.

Informative thyroid websites>>>

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/hashimotos/
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/nodulesgoiter.htm
http://thyroidbook.com
danvin39

Postby hamlet » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:39 am

i have a 3 cm mass and i had an ultra sound two years ago at 59. doc doesn't think it's worth worrying about. i had radiation therapy to my head as a child and was warned these seed nodes could result. it's a watch and not to worry. my voice seems to be degrading tho. i have no insurance either. thyroid function normal. i take kelp, it has iodine that speaks to the thyroid. thyroid dysfunction is so normal, that thyroxin is in the top ten prescribed meds people take every day.
hamlet

Return to Thyroid Cancer