Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How can my mom receive my deceased dad's social security?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby garran » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 pm

My dad recently died after a 2 year long fight with cancer and other illnesses. My mom works full time, and so did my dad, untill he got sick. He was on half pay, half disability when he died. My mom went to the social security office yesterday to see how she goes about collecting his SS. They told her that in order to collect his social security, she had to be 60 (she's 59) AND she couldnt make over 14K a year.

I know about the age thing, but I have never heard anyone say anything about what you make. Forgive me for venting a little, but I think its absolutely ridiculous that my dad paid into SS his whole life to make sure my mom was helped out if/when he died, and now she's being denied because she makes too much...So if she doesnt ever get it, where the hell does it go????
garran

Postby brodrick » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Money earned by a recipient has always been part of the program. At your mothers age, she looses $1 for every $2 she earns. The amount she looses decreases as she gets older. Eventually she will not loose anything regardless of how much she earns.

That is the system, always has been the system, and apparently you have not really checked into what the SSI program rules are.
brodrick

Postby gara » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Your dad would not have been eligible to receive his SS for the years he worked until he applied early at age 62, the requirements for the widow are the same
she can apply at age 62 which will result in a reduced amount than if she waited until her retirement age
and yes, taking SS early does limit the amount one can make by continuing to work without reducing the SS, it doesn't she can't work making more than $14000, it means that her SS is reduced by the excess of the $14000 until she has reached retirement age
there is no limitation when she has reached retirement age and continues to work
gara

Postby thornly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Your mother can receive her Social Security benefit or your fathers, whichever is more, when she reaches her full retirement age of 66 or a reduced benefit at 62. If she starts drawing the benefit before her full retirement age it will be reduced if she earns over whatever the allowable amount, curently about $14K, is just like everybody else.
thornly

Postby tadleigh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:36 pm

IF YOU are still a minor, YOU may be eligible as well.
Yep, YOUR income, if you are under, (I think,) 66 DOES affect what you can draw.
What she doesn't get helps to cover expenses in other parts of SS such as disability payments for those who became disabled while working, but otherwise would NOT be able to draw SS.
tadleigh

Postby bailintin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:37 pm

As a widow, she can collect at age 60 on his record. It is for women who never really worked, to be "taken care of" once the breadwinner dies. That is very generous, as working women cannot collect on their own record until 62. If she works, and earns enough to support herself ( which would be over the $14,000 mark, up until she reaches her NORMAL retirement age) then it is presumed she does not need the assistance. The average lifespan for women now approaches 80. Social security wasn't set up to support people who are capable of supporting themselves, at taxpayer expense, for 20+ years. Your father's contributions were not put in a lockbox somewhere. The money is in a general fund and has been looted by both political parties for years. Your mother is employed and fortunate to be healthy enough to contribute to her own eventual retirement and if she was married to your dad or more than ten years, she will get to choose the higher benefit amount then
bailintin

Postby suthley » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm

If your mom is caring for a minor child, she might be entitled to something. If not, she isn't. Sorry, those are the rules.

She'll get something from his ss later unless her own benefit is more.
suthley

Postby obrien » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:56 pm

That was correct. She must be 60 to claim widows benefits, and there is a limit to how much she can earn until she reaches the full retirement age of 66, or 67 if born after 1954. If she works full time she will lose $1 of Social Security for every $2 of earnings above $14,600. So it may not be a good idea to file for SS benefits from your Dad.

When she is 62 she can file for her own Social Security partial benefits. That may be the way to go.

There is no money just sitting there waiting to be claimed. There are restrictions on eligibility for every government program. Until a person files a claim, the money stays in the fund. Everyone's SS taxes are pooled.
obrien

Return to General Cancer Discussion