Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How Can I Tell If Someone Is Lying About Having Leukemia?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby joop87 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:50 pm

Are you doubting someone? Why are you doubting this person? What makes you think he or she is lying?

There are different kinds of leukemia, and it's impossible to tell you something that ONLY a patient would know.

I can often tell here because people write things that just aren't true- but I know that from seeing leukemia diagnosed regularly, as I work in pediatric oncology.
I usually ask what kind of leukemia and what protocol they are using for treatment, or if certain things have happened yet.
For instance, people regularly come here and say they are teens diagnosed with AML or ALL and they'll be starting treatment next week.
Treatment starts immediately (same day or day after diagnosis) unless there are rare, extreme circumstances (none of which the people who have claimed this have.)

I just want to address the surgery thing, because someone mentioned that if this person said they had surgery, they are lying.
I wrote about this in another answer this week already.
This is NOT something that means someone is lying.
It is very common to have surgery right after diagnosis to insert a central line.
No, that's not treatment, but it is treatment related, and many patients and family members may be confused and just lump that in with treatment.
With kids, the first diagnostic and therapeutic lumbar puncture with intrathecal chemotherapy is often given during the surgery to insert a central line, so the surgery does include something that is officially treatment.
And some people consider getting anesthesia for a bone marrow aspiration to be surgery (I don't, but I have had people refer to this as surgery- I correct this misconception, but it's pretty common.) So someone with leukemia saying they had surgery is not necessarily someone who is lying.
joop87

Postby atty » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Yeah, right. Then he reads it here and tells you the lies.

What reasons do you have for doubting them? If they have a history of telling weird lies to get something (not having to work, borrowing money etc) then chances are it's not true.
If they're normally honest and don't look too healthy and spend time in hospital, then it might be true.

Generally speaking people with leukemia get chemo or radiation therapy, lose their hair and spend a fair bit of time in hospital.
If they look healthy, plenty of hair, haven't lost weight, and are running around with heaps of energy...... well.....
atty

Postby Misu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:59 pm

"So when are you starting chemotherapy? Will you have to get a bone marrow transplant?" If they tell you that they had surgery, they are lying.
(No surgery required for leukemia.) Leukemia is generally treated with chemotherapy, and, in some cases, a bone marrow transplant.
It depends on the type of leukemia they have.
Misu

Postby Siwili » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:03 am

Here's the bottom line: If you can't trust what a friend is telling you, then they are NOT your friend, and you just need to let them be. If this is just some kid at school, let them be.

Let them sink their own ship by themselves, you do not need to help. Liars are always found out, just give it time.
Siwili

Postby Shaka » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 am

If we tell you then it wouldn't be something that only someone with the disease would know.

You could try asking what type of leukemia, what sort of treatment, how they got diagnosed, what made them suspect and go to Dr etc.

Or you could keep your nose out of their business.

If it is someone close to you, you could offer to go with them to their appointments for support.
Shaka

Postby Mano » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:28 am

Ask him what type of leukemia they are treating him for....Ask him what's his doctors' name, Ask him what's the name of the chemotherapy they have him on, ask him if he will need radiation as well....

that should get the ball rolling for you.
Mano

Return to Leukemia Forum