Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How Can I Fix A Buckling Wall In My Kitchen And Whats Best Material For Behind A Oven An Pellet Stove?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

How Can I Fix A Buckling Wall In My Kitchen And Whats Best Material For Behind A Oven An Pellet Stove?

Postby Paton » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:15 pm

There could be lots of things going on here and with no pics...I can only guess.

But more than likely the pellet stove is too close to the wall and the hot/cool cycles of the stove is causing a moisture migration.

A.
This is causing the drywall to buckle or perhaps even the surface paper to loose adheasion.

or

B.
If you have plaster walls then the keys have broken in the back due to repeated heating and cooling and the expansion of the water in the plaster has caused the plaster that protrudes through the lath (called keys), behind the wall, to fracture

Either way you will have to repair the wall, (A) remove drywall and replace or (B) readhear the plaster wall with a mechanical fastener and glue (may not be a big box store fix)

The repair...

Two methods of building a firewall:

Heat reflection:

How it works: This method uses a material's infared reflective properties to protect the surfaces behind.

How to build: find a solid metal material that you can live looking at (I like stainless sheet), but one of the metal floor protective bases cut to fit with the finished edges out looks great too.
You will also need to install this with a 3/4" offset from the existing wall.
Be certain to leave an air gap at the bottom (this creates a convection thermo syphon to move the hot air away).
I have also seen where folks have used 1/2" or 3/4" fire board as well but that was on wood stoves that are much hotter.

Fireproofing:

How it works: use of a refractory component to provide a surface that will not burn

How to Build: As noted above if you are replacing the drywall, you may install cement board (this will require skim coating with drywall compound to make it look like the rest of the wall).
Old school would be to use an Asbestos board as a refractory and skim coat it as well.
You may also use a grouted fired ceramic tile, stone or brick wall treatments.
If following this method be certain to use a fired product.
The unfired products wick moisture out of the air and when the "brick" heats the water turns to steam and will crack or craze the surface.

Hope this helps.

David
Paton

Postby Griswald » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Griswald

Postby Senon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:26 pm

One of my favorite summer dishes is super simple and no heat required! Plus the dish itself is cold, so that's a plus. I love just hitting the store looking for the nicest in season veggies and making a huge plate of bite sized veg. Then a simple lettuce salad with about 1 or 1/2 cans per person (depending on the size of everyone's tummies!) of the really good chunked canned tuna. (Not the cheapo stuff that'd you'd make a casserole with but the 3-4$ per can stuff.). Personally I like it best with Italian dressing or just oil and vinegar, but the kids are normally more into it if you offer ranch or something.
Senon

Postby Rosario » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:33 pm

remove the old part of the wall & install cement backer board, or use stove board,
Rosario

Postby Lanny » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:40 pm

if the wall is buckleing you probably have more problem then the wall. it sounds to me like you have foundation problems also. My whole family is big into diy and i would have it checked by a professional first before you go do a bunch of work, and it does no good.
Lanny

Postby Yiska » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:43 pm

so
Yiska

Return to Mesothelioma Forum