Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How big are enlarge lymph nodes?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby hekli » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Ok, so the other day i was feeling my neck and I found a lump about the size of my pinky finger. It doesnt hurt, it moves around and such. So then I looke it up and found that it could be a sign of lymphoma. I felt all around my neck and found I could feel a few more smaller lumps here and there. it got me worried. so now I am wondering, is it normal, how big are swollen lymph nodes? Now I just can't seem to stop touching them.
I am 19 years old, rather active. I had a blood test back in april which came back normal. should I be worried?
hekli

Postby ceannfhionn6 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Anything over 1cm is considered enlarged, but that is a far cry from assuming you have cancer. Lymph nodes are supposed to swell.
ceannfhionn6

Postby caomh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Here is a great neck lump assessment site for you to look at along with a couple others.Stay on top of this because you are at the age where people come down with Hodgekin;s disease.
http://priory.com/medicine/neck_lump_assessment.htm

http://www.thelymphnodes.com/hodgkins-disease/index.php

Good Luck.
caomh

Postby thorntun40 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:22 pm

No it sounds like you have normal lymph nodes in your neck. If you have not noticed them before, your body might be fighting some kind of infection. Could even be a minor infection that you might not even notice.

Typically if a lymph node over 1cm is considered enlarged. But sometimes they can be perfectly normal over 1cm. The size of your pinky tip is about 1cm, maybe slightly more. So they could be a little bit enlarged. But the fact that you can move them around is a good sign. Lymphoma lymph nodes are ussualy much bigger then that, and feel harder and stuck to something. Just keep an eye on it, and dont touch them too much since that can keep them enlarged. I would only be concerned if they get bigger or begin to feel hard and stuck in place.

Also, remember that the average person is not very good at idetifying a lymph node from a normal lump in the neck. Such as artery or muscle.
thorntun40

Return to Lymphoma