Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

High Kidney And Liver Functions

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Postby Farren » Sun May 01, 2016 5:23 am

Hi Dr.  My husband had left kidney removed in Jan, 07 due to cancer.  Tumor was quite large but we were assured that all was contained in the kidney and nothing has spread to other areas. Last week he had his 6mo blood work, and ct scan scheduled.  When we went for the ct, the tech mentioned casually that his kidney functions were high so they were not going to give him the IV contrast, just the drink.  His apt with the cancer dr is next monday.  We went directly to the urologist and they had already called our home to schedule a scan because they said kidney and liver functions were high.  What does this mean?  How high is the possibility of kidney failure with his history?

Thank you for your information.

Sandy Jenkins
Farren

Postby Devlin » Sun May 01, 2016 11:53 am

Dear Sandy:

Thanks for your question.

It is difficult for me to be specific without definitive lab values.

Having said that, it is possible that your husband had  a subclinical kidney disease at the time of his surgery. We all have an extraordinary amount of extra kidney function and because of that we need to lose a lot of functioning kidney tissue before our tests become abnormal.  For example, hypertension can cause kidney disease.  Usually it is subclinical and doesn't become manifest until the kidney function falls to 90% of normal.  In your husband's case, he precipitously lost 50% of his kidney function because of his cancer surgery.  A loss of that much could unmask the kidney disease that was subclinical and might otherwise, not shown itself for years.  It is really irrelevant, however, because he had to get rid of the kidney because it was cancerous.

The liver function abnormalities are another matter.  The worse case scenario I bet you have already thought of, and that is, that your husband's cancer has recurred and possibly spread. That is possible but is the WORSE CASE SCENARIO.  Unfortunately, the organs and lymph glands looking "clean" at the time of surgery in no way assures that there has not been some microscopic spread which will become apparent in six months or so.

However, Having had cancer and surgery, in no way protects one from having some sort or other liver disease.  Drugs can be toxic to the liver, gall bladder disease can occur,  fat can infiltrate the liver because of too much alcohol, because diabetes is present or because one is too fat or to a combination of the above. The number of conditions effecting the liver fills a text book.  In other words,  he needs a through and expedient work up to define the problem and lay out an appropriate treatment plan. I apologize for being somewhat vague but it is the best I can do without more specific information.  I hope it will be of some help to you.

Please feel free to follow up if you wish and, again, thank you for your question

Sincerely,

Dr. Falkinburg
Devlin

Postby Cedrych » Sun May 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi Dr.  My husband had left kidney removed in Jan, 07 due to cancer.  Tumor was quite large but we were assured that all was contained in the kidney and nothing has spread to other areas. Last week he had his 6mo blood work, and ct scan scheduled.  When we went for the ct, the tech mentioned casually that his kidney functions were high so they were not going to give him the IV contrast, just the drink.  His apt with the cancer dr is next monday.  We went directly to the urologist and they had already called our home to schedule a scan because they said kidney and liver functions were high.  What does this mean?  How high is the possibility of kidney failure with his history?

Thank you for your information.

Sandy Jenkins
Cedrych

Return to Kidney Cancer