Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

High Bilirubin

Liver Cancer research, treatment and diagnosis discussion

High Bilirubin

Postby micheal » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:17 pm

My Dad has liver cancer and his bilirubin is 22. How high can bilirubin go and what are some of the effects of bilirubin being so high? What can they do to bring it down.  
micheal

High Bilirubin

Postby Babafemi » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:40 am

My Dad has liver cancer and his bilirubin is 22. How high can bilirubin go and what are some of the effects of bilirubin being so high? What can they do to bring it down.  
Babafemi

High Bilirubin

Postby Cleme » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi Myra, The reference range for bilirubin is 2 - 20 mol/L, so a level of 22 is moderately high. Bilirubin is a breakdown product of the haemoglobin in the blood and high levels indicate that the liver is overwhelmed and unable to process the blood quickly enough to filter the breakdown products. When bilirubin builds up in the body it causes jaundice - a yellowing of the skin and the whites of the eyes. Jaundice is common when there is liver disease. Other than the yellowing of the skin, the most common complaint related to high bilirubin is generalised itching.

Treating high bilirubin levels is achieved through treating the cause - that is, treating the liver disease. I hope this has been of some help, if you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best wishes, Sam
Cleme

Return to Liver Cancer