Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Heterogeneous Liver

Liver Cancer research, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Heterogeneous Liver

Postby Cary » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:15 pm

I recently had an abdominal ultrasound due to abdominal pain.  The report stated the liver was coarse and echogenic suggesting hepatic steatosis with impression stating, heterogeneous liver suggesting hepatic cirrhosis with no focal lesion identified.  I am unaware of any liver enzyme elevations.  I do have hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia managed with Crestor.  Other medical disorders are rare metabolic bone disease with excessive activated osteoclasts(idiopathic) treated with IV bisphosphonates over about 10 years plus 2.5 years of Forteo, hx. of colon polyps.  I am a RN, but had to take an early retirement due to repeated multiple bone fractures.  I did have the hepatitis B vaccine as a practicing RN, had occupational blood exposures as an ER nurse prior to implementation of blood/body fluid precautions, and had multiple blood transfusions with childbirth. A gastroenterologist I saw for the first time said the radiologist may have "overread" the U/S.  The last time I heard that remark, it turned out I had severe osteoporosis at age 37, so I remain concerned.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Cary

Heterogeneous Liver

Postby Daylen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:30 pm

I recently had an abdominal ultrasound due to abdominal pain.  The report stated the liver was coarse and echogenic suggesting hepatic steatosis with impression stating, heterogeneous liver suggesting hepatic cirrhosis with no focal lesion identified.  I am unaware of any liver enzyme elevations.  I do have hyperlipidemia and hypercholesterolemia managed with Crestor.  Other medical disorders are rare metabolic bone disease with excessive activated osteoclasts(idiopathic) treated with IV bisphosphonates over about 10 years plus 2.5 years of Forteo, hx. of colon polyps.  I am a RN, but had to take an early retirement due to repeated multiple bone fractures.  I did have the hepatitis B vaccine as a practicing RN, had occupational blood exposures as an ER nurse prior to implementation of blood/body fluid precautions, and had multiple blood transfusions with childbirth. A gastroenterologist I saw for the first time said the radiologist may have "overread" the U/S.  The last time I heard that remark, it turned out I had severe osteoporosis at age 37, so I remain concerned.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Daylen

Heterogeneous Liver

Postby Chad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:42 am

I can not rule out "overreading" but if you have hyperlipidemia & hypercholesterolemia then that should by itself be enough possible cause for this finding. However to be sure a liver biopsy is necessary and somehow I feel that that is going too far to clarify matters. Do you agree? Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH

There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
Chad

Return to Liver Cancer