Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Help, My Dog Has Skin Cancer?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby Amadi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 pm

I have a rat terrier that is about 10 years old and in the past couple of months I have noticed weird lumps on her skin. On her shoulder she has lump (no discoloration that I can see) about the size of a dime that I assume is a fatty lump. Just an inch away from that is a very small, size of a pencil eraser, red lump that is under neath her fur. Then more recently I have found a small red, bubbly lump on the back of her leg (where there is no fur). With a little reaserch I realise that this is most likely cancer that is continuing to grow, so my question now is what kind of treatment should I expect the vet to advise, and how much would the treatment typically cost? I can't just drive her to the vet (don't have a license) and may not be able to afford another visit to the vet, so any input would be appreciated, thank you!
Amadi

Postby Connie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:48 pm

It might not be cancer.
It might be a slow growing cancer.
It can be a lot of things, but unless you see a vet, you won't know what it is for sure and what can be done!!!!!!!!

Jesus! How do we know how much it will cost??? I have no idea what your vet charges for even an office visit!!!! You go, have an office visit, and the vet will go over all your options and an estimate with you!!!!!
Connie

Postby ecgbeorht » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Until she has been positively diagnosed with Cancer, I have little advice for you.
You have to at least get her to the vet for the diagnosis and he will then discuss her prognosis and a plan for long term care.

BUT, you have to know what you're dealing with first.
These lumps could be benign.
So get her into the vet and address any questions you have to him AFTER you know what it is.

ADD: Where I live the office visit an exam is about $45.
If he can tell at a glance that it is cancer, then the initial visit won't cost much more.
However, he may have to run a blood, urine tests and that could run about $150 - but again, that's my vet and they all differ.
When you first take her in, ask for a "ball park" figure and they should be able to give you an idea.
ecgbeorht

Postby Jourdon » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Since they are so small they will probably want to remove them and then send them out for testing. They could be nothing. It could be that removing them rids her from the cancer, or they could grow back. There is really no way to tell. The bigger they get the worse and more expensive it gets. It is best to do it asap. My dog had lumps removed on his elbow and it was 700. He is a big dog so probably be more expensive than your dog. My dogs lumps ended up being calcium deposits but I am glad I know. If payment is a problem ask if the vet accepts payments or look into care credit.
Jourdon

Postby Ulises » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Unfortunately many people can't afford cancer treatment for their pets, and they usually suffer through it and die, if they're not put down. It would cost thousands of dollars of ongoing treatment to get rid of the skin cancer, and then there is a chance they won't make it, as with humans. We don't know for sure, though, best to get it diagnosed by a vet, it could be something else.
Ulises

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer