Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Stanford Researchers Target Cancer Cell Proliferation

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Has anyone witness the death of a dog with an enlarged heart?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby danforth88 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:32 am

We have just learnt our seven year old husky has an abdominal tumour with possible other spots in his spleen and lungs. At the moment he s just very tired and seems in no pain. Eating the same, drinking, tail up as he toddles about and even had his head down a rabbit hole. The vet said his heart would give out before the cancer. I don't want to have even a few minutes of distress for just a few weeks more. I will of course ask the vet on Monday but sometimes an owners view of a peaceful end may differ from a vets
danforth88

Postby manolo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:40 am

No but I know of a dog who had cancer
manolo

Postby nykko65 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:47 am

Peaceful end is just a syringe away. Let the dog go without suffering. That's the best you can do.
nykko65

Postby lockwood » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:54 am

Yes I have had a dog die from complications of cancer.
She had it in her front legs, and by the time we found it was there it was to late.
Yes their heart does give out first.
And if you don't want to watch your dog go down hill, talk to the vet about when
would be the right time to put him to sleep.
Good Luck to you and your boy, and I hope he has a Peaceful ending.
lockwood

Postby iye » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:56 am

don't let him suffer he has had a good life now that time has come. letting it suffer is like locking it in a kennel for days and days its just not fair.
iye

Postby crompton » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:11 pm

I have had dogs who had enlarged hearts and they did fine on meds up until the very end. One died in his sleep in his crate. And one died in my arms while I was waiting for the vet to call back as I had decided it was time. She didn't struggle or suffocate, just quietly passed.
Each dog will be different though so keep in close touch with your vet and work with him on keeping the dog comfortable. You will know when it is time to let him go because your dog will let you know.
crompton

Postby crombwiella83 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:21 pm

If the heart starts to fail you will find that the dog will be finding it hard to breath they can pant alot the tongue and gums ect will become a blue colour and the dog can collapse . I understand you don't want your dog to suffer but as he is eating drinking and doesn't seem to be in pain i wouldn't end ot yet. If his heart does start to fail you can call the vet what every the time of day as most do 24 hour emergency service .
crombwiella83

Return to Stomach Cancer