Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Has anyone ever died from smoking marijuana?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby cecilius27 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm not talking about edibles or anything, I'm talking about smoking. I always hear stoners say "No one has ever died from weed" but I cant imagine thats true. My aunt is a doctor in a small town of about 1000 people and she said that there are a few people that have been diagnosed with lung cancer and lung problems like COPD I think it is and they were pot smokers. and one of my dads friends has been smoking weed for 25 years and he has some sort of build up of THC in a part of his brain I believe and its very unhealthy and he could suffer from a stroke I believe. I am not an expert or anything but I am just stating what I know about weed. It seems to be alot more harmful than people say it is. Now can someone tell me if marijuana has actually ever caused death? It can cause lung cancer and according to doctors the smoke from it is much worse than cigarettes. Lets not have a huge argument here but I am really just wondering.
cecilius27

Postby rhys33 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:29 pm

There has never been a reported death attributed directly to marijuana intoxication. The key word there is obviously directly. It can indirectly cause accidents and other events that could result in death due to judgment impairments caused by intoxication. To my knowledge (and I would have to do a current literature search to verify) that there has not been a direct causal link between marijuana and lung cancer. This could be due to the fact that many people who smoke marijuana may also smoke cigarettes or do other drugs that may cloud the picture greatly. Also, in the vast majority of cases marijuana users only use the drug for a short time often during their youth whereas cigarette smokers commonly smoke until they die or are truly unable to smoke due to incapacitation secondary to disease. This time is often 50+ years. That being said I do believe marijuana has a detrimental effect on a patient's respiratory health even if it is negligible compared to cigarette smoking.

One link that has been researched is that the incidence of schizophrenia is higher in males with a genetic predisposition when the drug is smoked in adolescents. It also can cause depression and what is known as demotivational syndrome.
rhys33

Postby hamlet » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:37 pm

the only people who have died from marijuana are the people who are stupid enough to inject it. but seriously... thats not the marijuana's fault that is the stupid people doing it. I smoke as a medicine. and it is harmless. especially if you use a vaporizer. people who get lung cancer from smoking are people who smoke cigarettes and that nasty stuff..
hamlet

Return to Cancer Prevention