Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Has anyone ever actually been cured of or into remission cancer using Gerson Therapy?

Discuss Breast Cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer in the world today.

Has anyone ever actually been cured of or into remission cancer using Gerson Therapy?

Postby eliott » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 pm

All the research I can find says that the Gerson Institute never follows up any cases, yet claims lots of successes, and when clients were followed up, over 5 years, 20 of the 21 cases followed up were dead, and the remaining survivor still had cancer.
A friend of mine has embarked on using Gerson Therapy to treat her breast cancer (stage 1) and is not having any conventional treatment for it and I am terrified for her.
eliott

Postby sagar » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 pm

All the research I can find says that the Gerson Institute never follows up any cases, yet claims lots of successes, and when clients were followed up, over 5 years, 20 of the 21 cases followed up were dead, and the remaining survivor still had cancer.
A friend of mine has embarked on using Gerson Therapy to treat her breast cancer (stage 1) and is not having any conventional treatment for it and I am terrified for her.
sagar

Postby crombwiella83 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:44 pm

You are right to be frightened for her; with conventional medical treatment stage 1 breast cancer has a near 100% 5 year survival rate. Your friend's cancer will, if she pursues Gerson, be untreated and may spread and progress.

No, there is no evidence at all of Gerson treatment having effectively treated a single case of cancer.

It sounds as if you have read good information about this quack treatment; if you haven't seen these, they may be useful. the first is about Gerson's famous 50 'best cases', only four of which appear anything like credible

http://www.users.on.net/~pmoran/cancer/Gerson.htm

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/OTA/ota03.html

I have actually tried this regime, briefly.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 grade 3 breast cancer almost 7 years ago. At the time I had been a vegan for 6 years (and a vegetarian for most of my life) and was a juicing enthusiast; I started most days with green juice. I mention this because an almost entirely vegan diet and frequent consumption of fresh juice is the basis of the diet Gerson followers claim will cure cancer.

I was also something of an alternative medicine enthusiast at the time, and frantic to avoid harsh treatments. I visited (among other alternative practitioners) a nutritionist, who guided me in starting a diet almost identical to to Gerson's, recommended by a British nutrition organisation whose name I've forgotten .

I wasn't willing to pay the few thousand pounds the organisation wanted for providing the information, visiting me and providing the food, vitamins etc I would need for two years, but the nutritionist agreed to give me the basic diet and guide me through it. I intended to follow it as a substitute for chemotherapy, and spent a couple of hundred pounds on vitamin pills and supplements. I passed on the enemas; the nutritionist was concerned thought this might be ok as I was taking milk thistle.

A couple of days into the regime, drinking juice every hour and consuming enormous amounts of vitamin pills caused me to vomit regularly, and in the end my stomach turned even as I contemplated the dreary routine of making and drinking the juices (it put me off juice for years). . There were nights when I went to bed weeping with hunger because I couldn't face the bland and repetitive food I was 'allowed' on this restrictive (even for a vegan) diet. My weight plummeted and I felt very ill. I lasted two weeks and felt so much better when I started eating what the hell I wanted.

I've only known one person who followed the Gerson diet to the letter; she was a contributor to a breast cancer forums whose prognosis was almost as poor as mine. She was a fine, strong woman who had surgery but refused further conventional treatment.

She had a recurrence after a year or so; she continued with the Gerson diet and seemed to be doing well. A year or so later she stopped posting; I have no idea why, and it's always a worry on a cancer forum when you stop hearing from someone suddenly. I emailed her and, very uncharacteristically, she didn't email back. A website she ran on alternative cancer treatments came to a full stop too. I hope she's still fit and well, but I fear the worst.

Yes, anecdote; but it's impossible to provide anything else, either way, in the absence of proof.

I went on to have conventional treatment, and am fit and well and have been in remission for over 6 years.

I hope you may find some of this helpful to pass on to your friend
crombwiella83

Postby earie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Gerson is just another one of the many quack cures available to take advantage of desperate people suffering from cancer. They have some success stories but I believe it has nothing to do with their approach. There are thousands of documented cases of peoples cancers spontaneously going into remission and I believe that accounts for their successes. On rare occasions the body's own immune system learns how to fight off the cancer cells and many experts believe cancer itself is basically a failure of the immune system.

As to their approach, juicing itself is basically nonsense. It does nothing beyond what a healthy diet itself would do because juicing adds nothing to the nutrients of the unjuiced vegetables. In fact, many dietitians point out that juicing removes some essential vitamins and minerals so it might be less healthy than just eating the vegetables.
earie

Postby magee21 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:55 pm

It's on the Quackwatch list of Questionable Cancer Therapies. They don't follow up because they know it doesn't work.
magee21

Postby livingston » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Nope, Gerson therapy is pretty much nothing but a scam.
livingston

Postby ahanu » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:15 pm

There are no scientific documented cases that Gerson therapy has ever cured or placed into remission any type of cancer. There are unproven claims but no independent source can verify any of the 'testimonials' . . wouldn't you think it would be EASY to prove if it actually worked. Wouldn't patients cured in this method be flocking to the media and to their doctors with positive proof . . and in fact, the scientific evidence is just the opposite . . after research was conducted no evidence was found despite all the claims (some say 80 percent, lol) that the Gerson therapy is of any use whatsoever . . so it is a waste of time and dollars.

Gerson regimen. 2010 Study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20361473

Integrative Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA.
Abstract

"The Gerson regimen, developed by Max Gerson in the 1930s, is promoted as an alternative cancer treatment. It involves consuming fresh, raw fruit and vegetable juices, eliminating salt from the diet, taking supplements such as potassium, vitamin B12, thyroid hormone, pancreatic enzymes, and detoxifying liver with coffee enemas to stimulate metabolism. Gerson therapy is based on the theory that cancer is caused by alteration of cell metabolism by toxic environmental substances and processed food, which changes its sodium and potassium content. It emphasizes increasing potassium intake and minimizing sodium consumption in an effort to correct the electrolyte imbalance, repair tissue, and detoxify the liver. The coffee enemas are believed to cause dilation of bile ducts and excretion of toxic breakdown products by the liver and through the colon wall. None of these theories has been substantiated by scientific research. Despite proponents' claims of recovery rates as high as 70% to 90%, case reviews by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the New York County Medical Society found no evidence of usefulness for the Gerson diet. An NCI-sponsored study of Gonzalez therapy, which is similar to the Gerson diet, showed that patients with inoperable pancreatic adenocarcinoma who underwent standard chemotherapy with gemcitabine (Gemzar) survived three times longer and had better quality of life than those who chose enzyme treatment, which included pancreatic enzymes, nutritional supplements, detoxification, and an organic diet."
ahanu

Postby maccoll35 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Yes, check out Jaquie Davidson's book Cancer Winner. She is still alive today 35 years later>>>

JAQUIE DAVISON, WIDESPREAD MELANOMA
In 1975 tumors all over head, neck, abdomen, diaphragm, arms, legs, abdomen bloated to 30 lb., melanoma biopsied. doctor said she had under three weeks to live, death would be swift and certain. Jaquie gave away her possessions, made her own funeral dress. Her family began the Gerson Therapy at home. Recovered, wrote inspiring book Cancer Winner.

>>>http://www.cancerwinner.com/

Gerson Cases>>>
http://www.gerson.org/GersonTherapy/case_studies.htm

Tell you friend about vitamin D to fight cancer.

"Exciting new research conducted at the Creighton University School of Medicine in Nebraska has revealed that supplementing with vitamin D and calcium can reduce your risk of cancer by an astonishing 77 percent. This includes breast cancer, colon cancer, skin cancer and other forms of cancer. This research provides strong new evidence that vitamin D is the single most effective medicine against cancer, far outpacing the benefits of any cancer drug known to modern science."

"Vitamin D deficiency was defined as serum concentration of less than 20 ng/mL. Aggressive breast cancer was eight times more likely among patients with vitamin D deficiency."

Optimal for cancer - 100ng/ml or 250nmol/l. 5000IU - 10 000IU of vitamin D per day. Have your friend tested for vitamin D - 25-OH vitamin D test.

http://www.naturalnews.com/021892.html
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/study-vitamin-d-kills-cancer-cells/story?id=9904415
http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20101004/low-vitamin-d-linked-breast-cancer
http://www.goodhealthwellnessblog.com/194/enough-vitamin-d-3-from-sun-food-think-again/
maccoll35

Return to Breast Cancer