Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Hard lump on back of head, under skin?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby nario25 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:52 pm

So about 2 months ago I noticed this relatively small (about the size of a grape) bump on the back of my head, under the hair and skin. I don't know how long it might have been there before I noticed it. It's hard like bone and doesn't move, though the skin moves over it. It doesn't hurt or itch or anything like that. I don't have any other symptoms. I did have bad headaches at the beginning of my pregnancy, but they have since gone away and I haven't had any in months.

I didn't tell my doctor for a few reasons. The first (and most ridiculous) reason being that I was just scared. I was sure it was cancer and I didn't want to hear that news. The second reason being I'm pregnant and I didn't want the doctors ordering MRIs and X-Rays, and I thought maybe it would just be best to wait until after the baby is born to get it checked out. And the third reason is because I hoped it would just go away on it's own.

It hasn't gotten bigger or changed in any way that I can tell, but it also hasn't gone away. It's still there. And suddenly I am starting to really stress out about it. It's something that I pushed to the back of my thoughts for two months, but all of a sudden it's all I can think about. I am so convinced that it's something terrible like bone cancer. I've decided that I can't go another 3 months worrying about it, and I'm going to tell my doctor about it at my next appointment which is on Tuesday.

Until then, can ANYONE calm me down a little? What are the chances that this really is something that might kill me (like cancer)? What else could it be?
nario25

Postby caillen » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:02 pm

It must be some swollen gland... I too have one just near my right ear..
I thought i was tumor or cancer.. But
later doc told that
it was just a gland...
Swollen coz of harmonal disbalance

but still i recommend that u should consult with doc...
If its something else than gland
then you can treat it in time
caillen

Postby amou » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:18 pm

We all have that. I noticed mine when I was 11 years old and was certain I had brain cancer lol. All it is is how your skull has formed and it just made a tiny bump. It's harmless and like I said we all have it. Mine is to the left, about half an inch from the centre of the back of my head about 4 or 5 inches away from where my hair line on my neck starts.
It's normal.
amou

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer