Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Government assistance for 18 year old homeless?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby kilian » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:52 am

I am 18 years old, my parents are homeless and I haven't lived with them since their house was foreclosed in 2010. I have been living with my grandma sleeping on her couch for the past few years while I go to school. However we recently learned from her doctor that she has cancer. She will most likely not make it much longer. She receives social security payments to pay her rent and other bills. My first question is if there is anyway I could "inherit" her social security payments? I am on the lease of the apartment and could continue living here if I could come up with the rent money. My next question is if any kind of government assistance exists for people like me that have no parents or family to help them? I was considering filing for SSI for depression. Information on how to go about filing for SSI, what kind of papers I need and getting diagnosed for depression would help also.
kilian

Postby bink44 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:56 am

If you qualify for student loans they may help you pay for your rent, but would have to be paid back once you are out of college. You could always speak with local shelters in your area to see if there are any families willing to take on aging out kids. Many churches also offer help in that area, depending on the area you are in there are different options.
You could always get a job, I worked full time both my junior and senior years in high school and in college worked had a family and maintained good grades. Do not immediately jump on government assistance, you may have some challenges ahead but that is what helps to build character.
bink44

Postby iye » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:03 am

absolutely not, even if you were a legal dependent (grandma was legally your 'mother'), they would end once you were 18 and done with high school, unless you yourself was severely disabled.

the depression would have to be SEVERE....

even if it is severe---you probably wouldn't get approved for about 2-3 years..

SSI is 698/month.

there is a part of the SSI application you can do online at

www.ssa.gov

but then you need to make an appointment to complete it with a SS worker

the depression would have to be so severe you could not work any type of job...for at least a year despite treatment.....as indicated by your activities during the last year...

if you are in high school---do you have an IEP or 504 plan for depression--if not--its highly doubtful you would be approved....as not needing accommodations indicates that it is not severe

you could pay the rent with income from a job...if you are still in high school, you may be able to attend online so that you can work more hours
iye

Postby rhys33 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:04 am

You could apply for Pell Grants which might be able to help with your living expenses besides college if you want to go to college. I'm not really sure how it works though. Otherwise, if you can get a job, get a job. Don't apply for SSI unless you really cannot work at all. It should be like a last resort. The Website for SSI is www.ssa.gov.
rhys33

Postby fanuco15 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:08 am

You could apply for Pell Grants which might be able to help with your living expenses besides college if you want to go to college. I'm not really sure how it works though. Otherwise, if you can get a job, get a job. Don't apply for SSI unless you really cannot work at all. It should be like a last resort. The Website for SSI is www.ssa.gov.
You would not be entitled to benefits as a dependent grandchild. One of the requirements is that both of your parents must be either deceased or receiving disability benefits from the Social Security Administration.

If you've graduated from high school I suggest that the time has come for you to get a job and see about lining up a roommate or two. Taking control of your own life might alleviate your depression.

Because you haven't worked you wouldn't be eligible for social security disability. If you want to file for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) you can call 1-800-772-1213 and make an appointment to file either in the office or over the phone. However, since your depression hasn't been severe enough for you to receive treatment for it, it is unlikely that your claim will be approved. Depression must be severely disabling in SPITE of treatment.

I am sorry about your grandmother.
fanuco15

Return to General Cancer Discussion