Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Going to the Gyno. Do you HAVE too? Or is it optional?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby howard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Please help me. I don't want it done unless my doctor or mother suggests it. I understand cervical cancer is deadly and stuff but is it optional?
howard

Postby emile98 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:13 pm

everything is "optional". I'm assuming you are talking about the HPV prevention since your question is not really clear on that. It just depends on if you want to protect yourself or not. Why wouldn't you do it?
emile98

Postby aberto77 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:16 pm

For an annual exam and pap smear (the test done to make sure that one doesn't have cervical cancer) does not have to be done by a gynecologist if one doesn't want to go to the gyn. It can be done by a Primary Care Physician if they are comfortable with doing it.

But a woman must have the exam and pap smear done either when she is 18 or 21 or when she becomes sexually active, whichever comes first.
aberto77

Postby coinneach92 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:29 pm

idk thats exactly what i was wondering too
coinneach92

Postby raynor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 pm

You SHOULD go to the doctor and get a pap smear, especially BEFORE you have sex, to ensure everything is working a ok downstairs.

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=138&pst=655843

As for the Gardasil vaccine, it is also optional (thank goodness).
raynor

Postby atzel » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Going to any doctor is optional. You are in charge of your own health care. It is recommended that you begin going when you are sexually active or at age 18, whichever comes first. At this point in your life, you should be establishing a relationship with a gynecologist. If you ever intend to have a family, you will indeed have your "private area" looked and touched by LOTS of doctors. You just have to start getting comfortable with. Realize they are doctors and this is what they do. It's only weird the first time you go.
atzel

Postby manolo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:54 pm

i have gone to the gyno every year, just cause you can't get birth control other wise, I'm 21 now btw. i just had my daughter, and had an irregular pap smear (which is what they do every year) i had it checked out and it was "high risk" so at 21 i had to go have part of my cervix cut off so that it doesn't turn into cancer. the dr. said it usually doesn't, that it's usually just the people who put off going to the gyno that get actual cancer. there is no history of cancer of any kind in my family... so i would say yes it is important, as soon as you are sexually active or when you hit 18 you should go once a year, its a pain in the butt but it may save your life. (not to mention there are a host of other things they can catch early.)
manolo

Postby cedric52 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:56 pm

well first off if you are over the age of 18 or sexually active... it would be wise, but if you are not then probably not. ok first off their is a new vaccination for cervical cancer-Gardasil, you get it in your arm and you don't need an exam, most doctors require a pregnancy test though. Just pee in a cup, no biggie. http://www.gardasil.com/ has some info about the shot. I've personally had it and its really not bad at all. if you do go to a gyno, try to get a female... I say this not because I am feminist but b/c they have been there and they know what its like to go to an exam, but most likely if its about cervical cancer you won't have an exam. but please check into the Gardasil shot, its better to have a little poke than to have cervical cancer.
cedric52

Return to Cervical Cancer