American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Getting More Tan? Is There A Limit?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby gary28 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm a pretty light skinned guy.

I recently did a bodybuilding competition in which i had to get a spray tan, after the competition i took a shower and a majority of the bronze color washed off but i was still left with a nice tan and it was such a nice color. i felt so good with the tan because im so used to being so white. i wish i was always that color.

anyways

i always walk outside for my lunch breaks and 15 minute breaks at work, so i would think that my face and arms would be darker. they gain alittle color but im still so light skin. i feel so much better with that post-competition remaining tan and i wish i was always that color. so is there a limit to how much i can tan naturally? is my face and arms (the 2 parts that are always exposed to sun), the most tan i can possibly get? if i sat outside for an hour and put some kind of tanning sunscreen, would it help?

ps: i dont want to hear about, the sun is bad for you, you might get skin cancer.... sorry, id rather be tan and good looking than be pale.
gary28

Postby Makya » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:05 pm

careful not to damage your skin
Makya

Postby True » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Well hydrated skin is less likely to burn and more likely to tan, so keep that water glass full!

Rotate your body around so you get an even tan on the front and back.

You can still tan in water and snow, which reflects and intensifies the UV rays from the sun.

If you are going to tan, make sure you see a Dermatologist once a year to examine your skin for signs of skin cancer.

You are at increased risk for skin damage at higher altitudes and closer to the equator.

Don't have tanning oil? Water works (not as great, but it is better than nothing), because water attracts sunlight.

If you want a nice glowing tan wear sunscreen, but make sure it's at least 30.
True

Postby Darick » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:09 pm

- i see but the thing about being in the sun for too long gives you skin cancer i dont really believe in it because if that was the case i would get it long time ago because where i am from its always hot and sunny and i used to be outside in the sun for hours and i didnt get skin cancer .my bf is white and he always complains about being too paled he thinks he looks ugly and he thinks im not going to find him attractive but honestly i think hes attractive weather hes tan or paled , so you probally dont even look as bad as you think you do but since you like to be tan then go for it ,now i think 1 hour should be fine :)
Darick

Postby dearborn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:17 pm

You'd rather be tanned and good looking than be pale. Ok, I know exactly how you feel. So I used tanning beds for 7 years, just to "keep a bit of colour." But the longer you tan for, the more permanent skin damage you accumulate. And I'll show later on. So whilst you may be tanned and good looking now, you'll have rough, blotchy wrinkled skin later. You think you don't care now but you will. So if you must have some colour, then try the self tanners or a spray tan. That way you'll have a tan AND keep your looks later on. So it'll be win win! Tanning is honestly the worst thing you can do for your skin. UV rays can absolutely destroy it. Look up sun damage pictures. Some of it's disgusting. Plus the skin cancers. Fancy having stuff cut out your face leaving scars? How about a treatment with efudex? Look it up.
dearborn

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer