Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Getting a Mole removed, How much does it hurt?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby micheal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 pm

I am absolutley freaking out, Im crying im that freaked out. I know know, its not that big of a deal, but I have a fear of needles and scalpes. Looking at them just makes me go crazy. I cant help it. My Mole is a blue on its under my skin. The doctor said its nothing major since ive had it from birth, but its best to get it removed, It is on my back under my neck. How much does it hurt? My only option of getting it removed is by scalpel. I need to take it off asap cause it can lead to cancer. I need allllllll the information you can give me. Pleeease! im 16 btw.
micheal

Postby danvin39 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:27 pm

I had one removed from the back of my shoulder a couple years ago. I didn't think I was scared until I got to the office and actually started to think about what they were going to do. If they're cutting it out (which if it's under your skin I suppose they are), they'll shoot you with lidocaine first. THAT was what hurt me the most. It totally stings! But amazingly, after that you're home free. You won't feel a thing when they're actually taking it off -- it's really bizarre. They took quite a bit of skin with mine (at least I thought so!), stitched me up, and it didn't hurt afterwards at all, really. Nothing worth complaining about. You'll do fine. It's better that you won't be able to see it. Remember: after the lidocaine, it won't hurt a bit! Just breathe deeply and get yourself through that.
danvin39

Postby colston » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:31 pm

I have had 5 moles removed and the only part that stings a little is the needle with the numbing stuff in. Nothing else hurts at all, you don't feel a thing. For a second of stinging from the needle is better than getting skin cancer.
colston

Postby barris49 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:37 pm

It is on your back, so you will not see what the doctor is doing. He will numb the area, perhaps by injection which will sting for a few seconds.
Keep in mind that this mole removal could save your life and is so important!
You won't feel when he removes it at all, and it only takes less than a minute.
You will do just fine. Just take a deep breath and think of something you absolutely love--and concentrate on that--and it will be over before you know it.

I do this for root canals, which can take up to an hour or more--I replay my absolute favorite musicals in my mind.
barris49

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer