Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Found Out My Dog Has Cancer?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby Dervon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:47 pm

I found out five weeks ago that my 13 year old jack cross has mammory cancer, the vet said it would be risky operating because of her age so told me to go back in five weeks to see if they have grown at all, during the five weeks ive changed her onto taste of the wild dry food as it has no grain in it but it still feels like the lumps have grown, does anyone know what could happen? Shes still fine in herself, she can run around and is always lively and alert, the only things that give away her age are her weight and cataracts other than that you really cant tell she has cancer, so my question is, will i be able to find out how much longer i have with her? Thank you for any answers
Dervon

Postby Burket » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:49 pm

The vet said that the operation would still probably leave some cancer there so wouldnt be worth the risk, i dont want her to be in any pain ever, i didnt know cancer could develop so fast, can it still take hold that rapidly even if she is totally healthy otherwise? Its a total shock to the system for me i still see my little puppy when i look at her its hard to accept her age i suppose, thank you for your kind words x
Burket

Postby Frasco » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 pm

One of my dog's currently has Cancer and I lost my wolfhound to cancer several years ago, in both cases the treatment would have been too much for them because of their age's.

If she is fine in herself and is not in pain then let her live a happy pampered life. As long as the tumours do not become so big that it is causing her trouble and pain then try not to worry.

The vet is likely to just keep an eye on the tumours to make sure they don't get too big, because of her age the risk of anaesthesia is high so surgery would be a risky option for her.

Enjoy the time you have left with her and spoil her rotten it may be weeks, months, or even years there is no way of telling. The vet told me my wolfhound would only live a few weeks and he lived for 6 months.

I wish you both all the best and hope you have a long happy time together :D
Frasco

Postby Gascon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:59 pm

I had a dog that was diagnosed with bone cancer.
The oncologist gave him 2-3 months to live. There was no cure for the type of cancer he had.
I chose to give him 4 rounds of radiation to try to knock back the cancer a bit.
It had spread to his lymph glands.
In all my research about cancer in dogs, the same thing kept coming up.... cancer thrives on sugar. My dog was eating Wellness Core, a grain free dry food.
I took him off of all dry food ( even grain free dry has carbs, which turn to sugar) and fed him only high protein canned food.
I chose the brand Zee Wee peak, but there are others.
He outlived everyone's expectations by 9 months.

If you chose to do surgery, putting aside her age, what would be the prognosis? If she's in good health, and the surgery would prolong her life, and it wasn't too extensive, I think I'd go for it.
But only you can decide what's best for you and yoru dog.
Good luck

Good luck
Gascon

Postby Shawe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:02 pm

I am sorry for the diagnosis on your dog.
It is never easy getting such news.
Did the vet do a chest x-ray on your dog? Many times a quick x-ray can tell you if the cancer has spread - if tumors are in the chest the prognosis may be worse.
If you start seeing her have any trouble breathing, slowing down or not wanting to eat or drink much then these are signs that the cancer is getting worse.
There is no totally accurate way to know how much longer she has.
Give her all the attention and love you are able to give.
Spend as much time as you can.
Appreciate her even more than ever.
She has given you 13 great years!
Shawe

Postby Donell » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:07 pm

13 years old is a good long life, and a decent age for a dog to get to.

At that age, the dog probably won't survive any surgery (or anaesthetic).

When you get the follow-up exam, the vet will advise you how rapily it is spreading, and how long until the dog's quality of life will diminish until the kindest thing to do is have her put to sleep.

Don't let her suffer too long.
Donell

Postby lundy19 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Another suggestion to throw into the mix here (and I'm very sorry to hear that your dog has been diagnosed with cancer).

If you can't get help for cancer treatment from your regular vet, try contacting a holistic vet.
I have used herbal treatments on my dogs for a few years now and am very happy with it.

A good one I know will ship worldwide and they have a product specifically for mammary gland cancer and they even give you information on what to feed when diagnosed. http://www.holisticanimalmedicines.com/s...

In my opinion, it's worth a try.
I've been surprised so many times by how well these treatments work when my normal vet can't help or wants to prescribe nasty drugs for my animals.
lundy19

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials