Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: United Kingdom Seeing Increase in Skin Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Enlarged lymph nodes, should I be worried?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby bailintin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:57 am

I've had a lymph node right under my jaw line that has been enlarged for over 2 years. It is no longer moveable meaning when you feel it, it doesn't "float" around. So it's attached. It never really caused
Me any issues until late last year. It's on the right side of my neck. My right ear swells shut & is extremely painful, my thyroid is enlarged and now i have another enlarged lymph node near my collar bone (also right side) it started out really small & now has gotten much larger quickly & has started attatching as well. I've been to the doctor & they tested me for lupus, cancer, checked my thyroid levels & about 15 other tests. Everything came back "normal". I feel AWFUL. I'm always tired, weak my throat swells almost shut. It's NOT allergies. I'm at a loss I don't know what to do. Anyone else been through or know someone who's been through something like this? Help!!!!
bailintin

Postby kalvin21 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:08 am

probably not but still see a doctor (better safe than sorry)
kalvin21

Postby farand » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:12 am

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. As one of the other contributors said - go see an ENT doctor and get evaluated by them ASAP. At the very least, I would push for a CT or an MRI of your head and neck (if you've got the coverage/money, then I'd get both) so they can identify exactly what is enlarged and whether or not there are other masses. If you can't get in to see an ENT within the next two weeks, then push for your GP to order these tests.

Regardless, lymph nodes swell and change for a variety of reasons, most of which have to do with infections. It could even be something as silly as an allergy, or it could be some sort of autoimmune illness (you said your thyroid was bothering you, perhaps you could have autoimmune thyroiditis). Lymphoma and other cancers are usually the least likely cause of enlarged nodes, but even if it is the case. Hodgkin's lymphoma is more common in young people than all other forms of lymphoma combined, and certainly far more common than metastatic cancer. Hodgkin's disease has a cure rate of over 90% in early stages, and still at least 70% at stage IV. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd get those scans to make sure.

Also, keep an eye on those masses. If they stop growing at some point soon, and if you don't find any more, then that's definitely a good sign.
farand

Return to Thyroid Cancer