Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Technology to Test For Cancer With a Single Drop of Blood

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Embarrassing Question about Surgery?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby segar » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Hello,

I will be going in for Thyroid Cancer Removal Surgery, but they said I will be in a gown and in my birth suit

My question is, I guess.... They put tubes for you to go to the bathroom

Is it weird? Should I shave?

So Embarrassing, Sorry Guys
segar

Postby sorley » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Cancer-removal surgery may require one or two hours, and a catheter will be inserted into your bladder to relay urine to a vessel near your the operating table. Because your Thyroid is beneath your throat, you may or may not have a ventilator placed into your throat so you can breathe without difficulty. I do not think your pubic hair will be shaved. I have had four operations in 10 years, and you will be wrapped in light blankets to ensure you remain warm. There may be a sterile cloth placed onto your face with only an opening for the surgeon to operate. An anesthesiologist will be by your side checking your vital signs and will know whether to increase the anesthesia. You will be put asleep and a second anesthesia will be added to keep you still so the operation will be a success. You will awake in the Recovery Room 20 to 30 minutes after the finish of the operation and remain for one or two hours before being transferred to your room.

Good Luck.

Harrald
sorley

Postby grigor94 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:15 pm

That's what I worry most about going to hospital if they're gonna make me get naked lol I know it has a reason but to me it seems kind of unnecessarily embarrassing and it puts people off I mean your thyroid is in your neck isn't it? Why must you be naked for that? And why the catheter? I don't know why you would need one, operation on your neck you should still be able to walk around fine as far as I know they usually give catheters to people who can't get up after surgery. I tell you right now that unless I literally couldn't get out of bed after surgery I would not have a tube stuck up my pee hole! I'd fight with everything I have! Not saying that you should but seriously, keep that tube away from me or else!
grigor94

Postby hayward98 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 pm

That's what I worry most about going to hospital if they're gonna make me get naked lol I know it has a reason but to me it seems kind of unnecessarily embarrassing and it puts people off I mean your thyroid is in your neck isn't it? Why must you be naked for that? And why the catheter? I don't know why you would need one, operation on your neck you should still be able to walk around fine as far as I know they usually give catheters to people who can't get up after surgery. I tell you right now that unless I literally couldn't get out of bed after surgery I would not have a tube stuck up my pee hole! I'd fight with everything I have! Not saying that you should but seriously, keep that tube away from me or else!
they're not going to be staring at your vagina.

it's not weird, it's normal. you won't notice a thing.

no need to shave at all...
hayward98

Postby jamon20 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Dont be embarassed nd I dont think they would care they see that everyday!! LoL
jamon20

Return to Thyroid Cancer