Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Does working as a Armed Security Guard at a Nuclear Power Plant cause cancer/Pregnancy issues?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Does working as a Armed Security Guard at a Nuclear Power Plant cause cancer/Pregnancy issues?

Postby chayne » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:16 pm

I just recently applied to be a armed security guard at a power plant in PA. I was wondering if its safe to work there *around nuclear/radioactive stuff* in general, and if its safe to work while pregnant? I dont plan on having kids for a little while, however i do want a family one day and i dont want this job to ruin any chances of me having a healthy child. Does working at a nuclear power plant cause any health problems? Will it hurt an unborn child? My fertility?

I would really love to talk to a woman who has had a job like this for awhile and had a family as well. Thanks so much!
chayne

Postby pablo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:17 pm

I just recently applied to be a armed security guard at a power plant in PA. I was wondering if its safe to work there *around nuclear/radioactive stuff* in general, and if its safe to work while pregnant? I dont plan on having kids for a little while, however i do want a family one day and i dont want this job to ruin any chances of me having a healthy child. Does working at a nuclear power plant cause any health problems? Will it hurt an unborn child? My fertility?

I would really love to talk to a woman who has had a job like this for awhile and had a family as well. Thanks so much!
pablo

Postby gilpin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:18 pm

only iff u shove the nuclear stuff up ur *** and fart
gilpin

Postby jung-hwa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Working at a nuclear power plant does not generally cause any health problems, and should not cause any fertility or pregnancy issues. Radioactivity is only an issue for people who actually work with the reactor itself; they've got all kinds of procedures for dealing with it. For the average worker, radioactivity is only an issue in case of an accident, which is exceedingly rare. (And considering the chemicals and such many companies work with, in case of an accident you would probably not be much better off at a different place.)
jung-hwa

Postby feltin98 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Working at a nuclear power plant does not generally cause any health problems, and should not cause any fertility or pregnancy issues. Radioactivity is only an issue for people who actually work with the reactor itself; they've got all kinds of procedures for dealing with it. For the average worker, radioactivity is only an issue in case of an accident, which is exceedingly rare. (And considering the chemicals and such many companies work with, in case of an accident you would probably not be much better off at a different place.)
If you were not armed it would have been alright. but since you are armed I think there is a chance it can affect your unborn children.
feltin98

Postby octave » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:30 pm

My dad was a reactor operator on a nuclear sub and then in multiple power plants. To give you an idea of the level of radiation exposure you should expect here's a fun fact I just learned recently:

My dad while he was under water on the sub, actually got LESS radiation than people spending the same time on the surface of the earth. Basically the amount of radiation 'leakage' on the sub was less than the normal solar radiation we all receive every day.

Also, for the record, My sister an I both have the correct number of everything and have not (thus far) developed the ability to shoot laser beams out of our eyes or anything.
octave

Return to Cancer Prevention