Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Does gastritis affect bowel movements?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby wakeley » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:47 pm

I am so scared right now.Im 50 and in good health.Just had a complete blood work done,urine,and all is good.
About 10 days ago i went to an urologist because i pee alot at night.Long story short,he did a rectal,tested the fecal matter,and all was normal.Even my PSA was good.
But 2 days after that i started having pain in my stomach.I went to hospital.They did a cat scan with contrast of my abdomen and pelvis.The cat scan revealed the enlarged prostate and constipation thru out colon.
The enlarged prostrtate was pushing on my colon or rectum and causing constipation.
I took some laxatives when i got home and pooped alot.The stomach pain went away.
Then 3 days ago i got an endoscopy of my stomach and it revealed gastritis.
Im now on meds.
But now im losing weight,no matter how much i eat.My appetite is good.My colon or rectum always feels full,like i have to go,but dont.
My stools are ok though and no blood.
My concern is that i may have colon cancer because of the weight loss and the constant feeling of a bowel movement.Colon cancer symptoms are unexplained weight loss,fatigue,the feeling of not emptying bowels.
Either is that,or does anyone know if gastritis causes this because it involves your digestion?
I have given myself 3 enemas in 3 days because of the bowel feeling,thinking im still constipated.Poop does come out,sometimes big ones.Could the enemas cause me to lose weight like this?
Please,im so confused.
wakeley

Postby eoin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:56 pm

Okay, stop the enemas. If your doctor hasn't prescribed them, stop. The PSA is not a good nor reliable indicator of much.

Was the cause of your gastritis identified? There are at least 34 known causes. You say you're losing weight. When did you notice this and how much weight have you lost? It may not be as significant as you think. You had an EGD but has your doctor discussed with you having a colonoscopy? Have you brought it up?

"Colon cancer symptoms are unexplained weight loss,fatigue,the feeling of not emptying bowels." -- The early signs include sudden weight loss and this may be accompanied by nausea or vomiting which leads to a total disinterest in food. By your own admission, your appetite is good and you haven't mentioned nausea and/or vomiting. You've said there have been no bloody stools or occult blood in your stool. The feeling of " not emptying bowels: could certainly be explained by constipation or stool impaction.

I gather you have BPH. That's benign prostatic hypertrophy. In layman's terms, an enlarged prostate, a common condition of men over the age of 40. BPH can cause a number of symptoms, the most common being urinary problems -- a hesitant, interrupted, weak stream of urine, urgency and leaking or dribbling and more frequent urination, especially at night. You're familiar with this symptom. BPH can also on occasion cause acute urinary retention, an inability to urinate at all, and can lead to UTIs. If your prostate is impinging on your bowel, it will be at the distal (lower) end of the rectum. Which leads me to this - where, exactly where, in the CT films was the stool in the colon? In which part or parts of the colon? It should be in the dictated report. Yes, yes, I realize you already stated "The enlarged prostrtate was pushing on my colon or rectum...".

"Either is that,or does anyone know if gastritis causes this because it involves your digestion?" -- Constipation isn't associated with gastritis. And which were you told you have -- erosive or nonerosive? Or were you told at all? You had blood drawn. Did it include a test for H. pylori?

"Could the enemas cause me to lose weight like this?" -- Enemas work in the sigmoid colon. The majority of digestion (and caloric absorption) takes place in the small intestine. By the time digested food reaches the sigmoid, it's waste. You're not losing body weight by using enemas.

"Please,im so confused." -- Then I urge you to speak to your doctor. Have you expressed your very understandable concerns?
eoin

Return to Colon Cancer