Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: United Kingdom Seeing Increase in Skin Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Does bringing up clear mucus indicate lung cancer?Please help!?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby nixon87 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:12 am

This is a side question that has nothing to do with the other 2 I posted its out of curiosity. I;m 20 don't drink or smoke. Everyone knows the deal. Went to doctor YESTERDAY for lump thats in my neck for 4 monts now and he referred me for chest X-ray to check for infection or lung cancer, gave antibiotics and took blood sample to check for infection or Leukemia etc. Biopsy he said will be later. Anyway I was wondering since not that I am sick and coughed a little( I coughed rarely yesterday) and blew my nose ALOT and brought up clear mucus if this is a HUGE indication nothing is wrong with my lungs?
nixon87

Postby niccolo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:15 am

When you went to your doctor, did he/she say you have rales in your lungs? Did he say that your lungs sound clear? Judging by what you said, the mucus it coming from your nose and not your lungs. If you had lung cancer, your white blood count would be high, and many times the mucus from a cancerous lung would show spots of blood.
I am sure that you have allergies, or bronchitis and the antibiotics will clear the bronchitis if that is what you have.
niccolo

Postby lee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:26 am

Yes, having clear mucous trapped in your lungs can be a sign of lung cancer. However, this would cause respiratory problems and you would probably have trouble breathing. If you are not having trouble breathing, the mucous is probably simply the body's immune system kicking in. The body naturally makes a mucous that is clear to trap bacteria. It coats your nose and throat and turns green when you have a bad infection. The rest of the time (normal or mild infections) it is clear. Please don't worry :)
lee

Postby ellmer66 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:34 am

Absolutely not. It's normal to bring up some mucus when you cough: it's just your body's way of getting rid of infections.
ellmer66

Return to Stomach Cancer