Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Does anyone have any experience with pancreatic cancer to share?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby birdhil36 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:53 am

My mother in law has not been feeling well for quite some time and recently did a few exams but nothing showed up... She has severe fatigue and anemia, as well as vomit and general pain. A few days ago she got told she would go for a CT scan to have a look at her pancreas as they are now looking for cancer... Please any help, anything you would like to share is welcome - as we are lost! We cant even understand how come the doctors can mention cancer without a proper examination. Thank you all.
birdhil36

Postby archere » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:02 am

If it is pancreatic cancer, which I suspect it is by the symptoms, the outlook is hopeless. That form of cancer is deadly, and kills in 99.9% of patients.
archere

Postby brennen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 am

First off, a CT scan is a very appropriate way to search for abnormalities, and see if it is cancer (and if so how far it's spread). If cancer is a possible diagnosis from the symptoms she has, it's often very important to look for it and either find it, or rule it out. A physical exam can give you information, but it usually can't do a definitive diagnosis on its own- some cancers don't easily show up on a physical exam. Imaging studies can give a lot of useful information that physical examinations might not be able to.

If it is pancreatic cancer, the survival rate of that is unfortunately very low. My aunt had it, and she lasted about a year after diagnosis. While she was treated to reduce the symptoms and slow the cancer down, there was never much chance of her surviving.
brennen

Return to Pancreatic Cancer