Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Does a spot in your lung mean you have lung cancer or what is the possibility it can be something else?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Does a spot in your lung mean you have lung cancer or what is the possibility it can be something else?

Postby watts35 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:33 am

my mom went to the doctor today and they told her she has a spot in her lung. shes going back tomoro for more test. i am scared that it may be lung cancer . she has never smoked before. what is the possibilty that it can be something less severe. and what else can it be. andd if she does what is the life expectency for lung cancer patients witht treatment. it would really help
watts35

Postby willamar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:35 am

I'm not a Doctor, but I also have a spot on my lung, they found it when I was in my 20s, I'm now in my 50s, and it's still there. They think it might be a cyst.

So, don't get worried about Cancer, your Mother's spot may be nothing. Let the Doctors do their job, and if they come back with a diagnosis of Cancer, then worry.
willamar

Postby wu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:47 am

Spots on the lungs other than cancer are called solitary pulmonary nodules which are oval shape or round lesions seen on the chest x-ray and CT scan. These spots are benign. One reason is inflammation of the granular tissues due to infection on the lungs. This infection can be due to fungus like Cryptococcus, histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis and aspergillosis. TB (Tuberculosis) is other condition which causes spots on lungs.
These spots or solitary pulmonary nodules can also be due to some other diseases like rheumatoid arthritis or sarcoidosis. Chest injury can also result in to lung spots.
Another common non cancerous spot in lungs is hamartoma which is a clump of tissues.
After confirming spots on lungs by x-ray or CT scan, a repeat CT scan is recommended after every six months for 2 years to know the growth of the lesion. If spots don't grow in size for the 2 years then these are noncancerous.
Don't think about lung cancer yet....it could be nothing...I wish her luck.
wu

Return to Lung Cancer