Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Do You Think I Have Ovarian Cancer?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby Dunstan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:03 am

I am a 14 year old girl and lately have been using baby powder in my underwear after my showers. I put it between my legs near my "area". I sprinkle it in my pads too sometimes during my period. I recently found out that using talcum powder near a female's private area can cause ovarian cancer. I've been using it for maybe two months, but not every day. Is it possible that I could be developing ovarian cancer? I have stopped using the baby powder. Please help!
Dunstan

Postby Wylingford » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 am

you certain can! i had a degree 4 ovarian melanoma. it had unfold in all places. the medical professionals informed my moms and dads i had a not up to 2 percentage hazard of creating it... and that i did. ive been melanoma loose for 2 years now... yay! and i used to be identified whilst i used to be 17. so it could hit at any age.
Wylingford

Postby Teyen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 am

Baby powder does not cause ovarian cancer.

Where ever you heard this, it is inaccurate.

Use all the talc you want
Teyen

Postby West » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:33 am

There is no conclusive evidence that baby powder will cause cancer.
Using baby powder as your routine hygiene is perfectly fine although I have found that the Vagisil brand of powder is a little more effective in controlling excess moisture. It's found in the feminine product aisle.
West

Postby Colt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 am

I seriously doubt it. It has been suggested that talcum powder might cause cancer in the ovaries if the powder particles (applied to the genital area or on sanitary napkins, diaphragms, or condoms) were to travel through the vagina, uterus, and fallopian tubes to the ovary. Several studies in women have looked at the possible link between talcum powder and cancer of the ovary. Findings are mixed, with some studies reporting a slightly increased risk and some reporting no increase.

For any individual woman, the overall increase in risk, if it exists, is likely to be small. For example, one analysis combining data from 16 studies published before 2003 found about a 30% increase in ovarian risk among talc users. The average woman's lifetime risk of ovarian cancer is about 1.4%, so even with a 30% increase, her lifetime risk would be about 1.8%. Still, talc is widely used in many products, so it is important to determine if the increased risk is real.
Colt

Return to Ovarian Cancer