Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Do I Have A Risk For Cervical Cancer?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby Bartholomew » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:53 am

I'm 20 years old. My mother has a really bad cervical cancer. Over the last two months I've felt discomfort in my abdomen for most of the time. Usually nothing hurts, just very rear sharp pains for just couple of secons and then it's gone. I've also had a kind of diarrhea for more than a month now.. I don't really know how to explain this.. anyhow it's not severe, but it's definitely not normal either. I've also had some weird looking discharges and every once in a while just a tiny drop of blood in between my period. Also what started just a week ago or smth, is that I've noticed that each time I go to bathroom my genital area starts to itch.

Anyhow I'm just asking coz my mom's doctor without knowing anything suggested that I should get checked just in case as well coz my mom has it. So is it really that important? Coz the things I mentioned are bothersome, but then again not too much, so..

So all the advice is very much appreciated!
Bartholomew

Postby Cingeswell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:54 am

The itchiness and discharge suggests that you should see a gynecologist to get checked out. In general, with your family history, they'll probably want to do pap smears more often than they would do in someone without the family history (typical right now is every 3 years starting at age 21).
Cingeswell

Postby Atur » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:14 am

Cervical cancer is almost always caused by HPV, which is a virus.
Now, it is huighly likely that you have been exposed to HPV, but it has nothing to do with your mom.
HPV is very common in your age group if you have been sexually active.
You can get vaccinated against HPV, which is a good idea regardless.
It can't hurt.

Beyond that, if you have been having your routine Pap Smears, they would have detected precancerous cells that lead to cervical cancer, This test has been around for over 100 years.
It was probably the first non-leukemia cancer that could be detected.
Go see your doctor about the issues you are having, but it is far, far, far more likely you have a UTI or a yeast infection that is leading to your discomfort.
Atur

Return to Cervical Cancer