Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Do Egg Donations Carry Traits Of The Original Donor?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby Garvey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:41 am

I may have ovarian cancer (I'll know soon) and if I have to have both ovaries removed, I will want to have a child with my partner one day. My question is, will the child carry mine and my partner's traits or that of all three? I'm only about to be 18 and this is a huge deal to me. Please be honest, I can take it, thank you!
Garvey

Postby harmon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 am

Genetic traits come from baby's genes.
If you use an egg donor and your partenr's sperm, then genetically the baby will have the physical traits of that woman and your partner.

But environment counts too, so once baby is born, of course her upbringing with have a major impact.
harmon

Postby Valente » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:43 am

I am so sorry to hear about that.
That is such a horrible thing for someone to go through, especially when you are so young and haven't had a chance to have your own babies yet.
But yes, if you have your partners sperm fertilize a donor egg, then the baby will not have any of your dna.
Sperm and egg banks have books that you can look through and find a donor with the most similar features that you have, so that the baby has the best chance of looking like you, but it will not biologically be your child :-(.
I don't know the process but maybe before you have your ovaries removed (God Forbid) they can put you on some fertility hormones and maybe you can produce a few eggs that they can freeze for whenever you are ready to have children.
I really hope that everything works out ok for you.
God Bless!!!
Valente

Postby bittor70 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:45 am

It would be the same as raising a step child. Even though you carry the baby it would not be your biological child. It's also an expensive procedure :-(
bittor70

Postby Gaagii » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:05 am

It's not too late to harvest a few of your own eggs before you have your ovaries removed - it's a possibility that your eggs themselves are not cancerous. But that is the only way your baby would share your dna, if you used your own egg and had it fertilized with the sperm from your partner.
Gaagii

Return to Ovarian Cancer