Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Did my husband cheat on me? HPV?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby cecilius27 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:53 pm

I just found out that i'm HPV positive. i did my research and found out that it's an STD. It causes genital warts and cervical cancer. Does this mean my husband cheated on me?? I'm only 27, my doctor said since i am so young that it will probably disappear on its own and wont turn into cancer or anything.
cecilius27

Postby rye71 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Have either you or your husband engaged in sex with another person? If you have then there is no way to know which of you brought HPV into your relationship? It can take months, years or decades for abnormal cell changes or genital warts to develop. I can tell you if your husband cheated on you. I can say that a past Pap test then a positive HPV test does not mean someone cheated in the relationship. It can take years for abnormal cell changes to occur. 10% of women with a negative Pap test are positive for HPV. A Pap test is not an HPV test. Most men and women that acquire the virus do not show visible genital warts or abnormal cell changes.

Yes, genital HPV types are most commonly transmitted through vaginal and anal sex. The virus can be transmitted through hand to genital and oral sex.

Some HPV types cause visible genital warts some HPV types are linked to cervical cancer. Most HPV infection do regress in a year or two. Most HPV infections do not progress to cancer. Your doctor is right in most young women the virus will regress.

I hope you do not let your HPV infection cause difficulties in a good marriage.
Many estimates have placed the lifetime likelihood of getting genital HPV to be in the range of 75-90%.
Genital HPV is very common. It is the most common viral sexually transmitted infection (STI) and is likely to be the most common STI overall.
Most people who get HPV never know they have it, as they do not develop genital warts, an abnormal Pap test, or other manifestations of HPV that they can identify
HPV can remain latent in some people for years or decades before developing warts or cervical disease, so it is usually not possible to determine exactly when, or from whom, an individual contracted the virus.
http://www.asccp.org/PracticeManagement/HPV/NaturalHistoryofHPV/tabid/5962/Default.aspx
another follow-up study of adolescents and young women with LSIL, 91% of HPV-infected individuals cleared their infections after 36 months of follow-up.10
Reactivation of a latent infection secondary to senescence of HPV-directed cellular immunity could easily explain many of the HPV infections that are detected in older women with a previously normal screening history and no new sexual partners
http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=7892&issue=September_2009
rye71

Return to Cervical Cancer